Tourist Attraction in Crotone: Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta
The cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is the cathedral of the archdiocese of Crotone Santa Severina. In November 1983, Pope John Paul II raised him to the dignity of a smaller basilica. The Crotone cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and San Dionigi the Areopagita, dates back to the original IX century plant. Rebuilt in the 15th century with materials from the temple of Hera Lacinia. On the neoclassical façade, side by side with an imposing bell tower, three majestic portals open. The interior, divided into three aisles supported by pillars, houses remarkable works of art: a baptismal font in stone with a base zoomorfa of the thirteenth century, a sixteenth-century wooden choir, two wooden busts depicting St. Gennaro and Saint Dionysius, both of the 17th century , a terracotta crucifix and a marble pulpit designed by architect Paolo Pietro Paolo Farinelli in 1898. At the bottom of the right nave opens the nineteenth-century chapel where the Byzantine icon of Our Lady of Capocolonna is preserved, which, according to tradition, would be San Luca. The chapel, on which are painted angels, is decorated with golden stucco, bronze and precious paintings of the Boschetto (XVI century) and De Falco (17th century). On the left nave there is an eighteenth-century canvas depicting Jesus returning from the temple by Niccolò Lapiccola; the church still has an interesting treasure consisting of parquets and silverware, among which, of great interest, a golden silver goblet with enamels of 1626, a gift from Philip IV to the archbishop of Crotone, a goblet and a bacon of the eighteenth century, of unknown Neapolitan artists, and a processional cross of the eighteenth century. Inside there is also a 18th century painted on canvas, recently restored, depicting the decapitation of San Dionigi, attributable to Corrado Giaquinto. In the last few years, a bronze statue depicting Padre Pio was placed at the entrance.