Tourist Attraction in Reggio Calabria: Basilica Cattedrale Metropolitana di Santa Maria Assunta
The Cathedral of Reggio full name: Basilica Metropolitana Cathedral of the Most Holy Assumption in Heaven, dedicated to the Most Holy Assumption, is the largest religious building in Calabria, and is the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Reggio Calabria-Bova. It rises in the historic center of the city, where it shows its main prospect on the large Piazza del Duomo. The origins of the Cathedral of Reggio date back to the beginning of the 2nd millennium when, with the Norman invasion of southern Italy, Reggio suffered a process of "latinization" and progressive abandonment of the Byzantine Greek cult which was the center. In 1061, the Normans of Roberto the Guiscard arrived in the city who, having driven the Byzantines and created in Reggio Calabria, left the ancient Greek cathedral to order the construction of a new cathedral under the ' order of the Pope of Rome, to which the Normans were bound. In a subsequent historical description of the city, it is read: "Among the sacred buildings of Reggio deserves special attention to the ancient Gothic Metropolitan Church with five ships built on a slope so that from the chorus to the door the inclination of the soil exceeds the measure of a arm; nowadays the duomo, which is ordained by canonical monks, is splendid with modern paintings and the chapel dedicated to the sacrament adorned with profusion of marbles and chalcedony. "Attilio Zuccagni-Orlandini, Physical, Historical and Statistical Corrosion of Italy and its Islands, 1845 the original cathedral was probably a five-nave Gothic building. According to some scholars this temple exhibited sensible and perfect analogies with the Cathedral of Cefalù in its shape, plan and size. However, documented information on the Regina Cathedral dates back to 1453 and 1477, when Archbishop Antonio De Ricci added to the church a bell tower, until then probably absent: "This church of the earliest times near us had been rebuilt first, Archbishop D.Antonio De 'Ricci, who left his name to the bell tower. "(De Lorenzo Monographs of History Reggina and Calabrese, 1888) During the sixteenth century, as many buildings of the city, the church was plundered and burned by the Turks' incursions two times after the fire of 1574 was reconstructed and reconquered by Archbishop Gaspare Ricciullo del Fosso in 1580 and after the new fire of 1594 he underwent several restoration works, including one by Archbishop Annibale D ' Afflicted in 1599, one of Archbishop Gaspare Creales in 1665; finally the temple was still embellished and restored by Archbishop Ybañez, who finished the work in 1682, made a large commemorative plaque which lists the privileges of the Archbishopric Reggin both in the civil and religious camps. The Cathedral of Reggio features an eclectic-liberty style that tends to reinterpret Romanesque and Gothic medieval art, blending elegantly elements of both styles. The main prospect is divided into three parts with four perforated towers of octagonal shape surmounted by crosses. The central part of the façade has a trifora surmounted by a rosette enclosed by a frame decorated with floral motifs. On the staircase leading to the large and imposing facade, elevated along with the building over the prospective square, there are the sumptuous statues of Saint Paul, which according to legend converted the queens to Christianity, and Saint Stephen of Nicea, the first bishop of the city . The statues were carved in 1928 by Francesco Jerace and placed on the churchyard in 1934. Jerace is also the author of the monumental parchment inside.