The pontifical basilica of Brindisi cathedral or Brindisi cathedral or the basilica of Visitation and St. John the Baptist was consecrated by Pope Urban II in 1089 and completed in 1143. It has the dignity of a minor basilica. The cathedral was heavily damaged by the 1743 earthquake and rebuilt, later undergoing numerous restorations. The Romanesque system has remained the basilica planimetry, similar to that of the Basilica of St. Nicholas of Bari: three aisles without transept. Today's position on the facade of the church is the same as the original one: vertically tripartite in bands corresponding to the various aisles. In the 1920s, the façade was completed with a tympanum, later replaced by statues of Saint Theodore, St. Lorenzo, St. Leucius of Alexandria and Pope Pius X, in 1957, replaced by the last restoration in 2007 with as many Lecce stone statues , Of light color, height 2.90 m representing St. Leucio, Saint Theodore of Amasea, St. Lawrence of Brindisi and Saint Giustino de Jacobis. In the interiors you can find fragments of the mosaic floor of 1178, the 1594 wooden choir made by local carvers, the baptismal font of the 16th century and some eighteenth-century canvases. In the chapel dedicated to Saint Theodore d'Amasea, patron saint of Brindisi, together with St. Lawrence, the mortal remains of the martyr are kept. On January 6, 2010, at the will of the archbishop of Brindisi-Ostuni Rocco Talucci, the chapel of Saint Theodore was awarded the title of "ecumenical" as a privileged place of prayer for Catholics and Orthodox. Next to the cathedral, the bell tower rises, completed in 1795 and on the other side the bishopric and seminary building, built in the 18th century using materials from the destroyed Basilica of San Leucio. The basilica has undergone restoration work and was reopened to worship on November 18, 2007 in the presence of Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Vatican secretary of state. In 1193, he was crowned king of Sicily Ruggero, son of Tancredi, the first of the Norman sovereigns to rise to the throne outside Palermo; in the same year he was married to Irene, daughter of Isaac II Angelo, Emperor of Constantinople. On November 9, 1225, Emperor Federico II married Jolanda of Brienne, Queen of Jerusalem, at the time only 14 years of age. On July 10, 1867, Pope Pius IX elevated him to the rank of a minor basilica. On June 15, 2008, Pope Benedict XVI visited the cathedral of Brindisi, meeting clergy, deacons and seminarians of the archdiocese of Brindisi Ostuni. The Theodorean Studies Center is a permanent institution that promotes, by scientific method, the study and knowledge of the figure of Saint Theodore d'Amasea, whose veneration is widespread from the East to the West. The Association is based in Brindisi at the cathedral in Piazza Duomo, where, for about eight hundred years, the mortal remains of martyr Teodoro d'Amasea rest. The Theodorian Studies Center pursues the following goals: to promote, coordinate and implement research and studies on the figure of Saint Theodore d'Amasea (from history to hagiography, art / literature to liturgy, music to popular traditions and folklore); Organize meetings of a scientific nature, such as conferences, seminars, study days, exhibitions, competitions; Constituting an iconographic archive and a library specializing on the saint; To develop cultural exchanges with other institutions at national and international level, with universities, academies, public and private museums, galleries; To promote collaboration between scholars; Promote and promote ecumenism.