Tourist Attraction in Pescara: Cattedrale di San Cetteo
The Cathedral of San Cetteo is the most important Catholic worship building in Pescara, the church of the Archdiocese of Pescara-Penne and home of the homonymous parish. It is located in via D'Annunzio and dedicated to Saint Cetteo, the patron saint of the city. The original name of today's building, Temple of Conciliazione, is linked to the Fascist Italy's agreement with the Catholic Church. Its conception approaches Neo-Romanesque architecture. The construction of the church is linked to the building activity intensified in the city after the establishment of the province of Pescara in 1927: the old church of San Cetteo located in the area and reduced in bad state was demolished to make room for the new (note the Remains of the previous building on the sidewalk in front of the church). The construction of the new church was strongly demanded by Gabriele d'Annunzio, who also made available its own financial funds. Annunzio consulted with architect Cesare Bazzani and wanted to find in this church a burial site for his mother. The work came to an end in 1939, but the facade had to be rebuilt after the events of World War II. The temple became a cathedral long after, in 1977. The church clearly mimics the Abruzzo tradition (especially Romanesque), following the style of the ancient church of St. Jeruzalem, situated around the eleventh century: it is typical of this and of its neighboring regions, the façade of a strictly rectangular shape decorated with rosettes, a A choice shared by D'Annunzio and the architect. Always on the façade, the all-round archive portals point out the interior subdivision into three aisles, marked out from the outside by pilasters. To the left of the facade, a square-shaped bell tower ends at an octagonal plan, while to the right the façade is flanked by the small baptistery. The church has a transept, raised as in the Romanesque tradition: on one side of the transept there is a chapel dedicated to Saint Cette. On the other hand, the transept ends with the tomb of Luisa De Benedictis, mother of Gabriele D ' Annunzio, to which Arrigo Minerbi dedicated the funeral monument: it is a bow overtooked by the figure of a sleepy young woman. Another tomb inside the cathedral is that of Archbishop Antonio Iannucci, Archbishop Emeritus of the Archdiocese of Pescara-Penne from 1959 to 1990, which was buried on October 16, 2008 in the Baptistery Room. Inside the church there are various effigys of saints and also a painting attributed to Guercino and entitled San Francesco in adoration of the crucifix. Very important is also the Mascioni organ inside the church, one of the most famous and great of Abruzzo.