Tourist Attraction in Lucera: Anfiteatro Romano Arena di Lucera
The Roman Amphitheater of Lucera is a Roman amphitheater located on the outskirts of Lucera. It dates back to the Augustan era and is one of the oldest in southern Italy. Due to its size, it is the most important Roman testimony of all of Apulia. After the Roman conquest in 314 BC Luceria became the first colony of Latin law and later municipium, adopting the SPQL sign. (Senatus Populusque Lucerinus). Under Augusto it had its period of greater splendor, which also manifests itself in the erection of many public buildings and in the transformation of the urban structure. In the eastern part of the city, the master magician Marco Vecilio Campo, duoviro iure dicundo, prefect of the factory and tribune of the militias, built a natural amphiphytic depression at his own expense and in an area of his own, a great amphitheater in honor of Augusto and the Lucera colony, as evidenced by the inscription on the archives of the entrance portals. In 1932 some excavations brought to light the first significant remains of the Roman amphitheater. The excavation and restoration works were first directed by Quintino Quagliati and then by Renato Bartoccini and ended in 1945. From 2006 to 2009 the Archaeological Area was the subject of a further recovery and restoration work, with funding from the Region Puglia "Cultural Heritage System of Archaeological Areas". They were made in the western curved area of the graded stairs, for a seating capacity of about a thousand, to allow the Amphitheater to host musical, theatrical and cultural events. Considering the magnitude of the Amphitheater, the stairs would deserve to be expanded throughout the structure in order to give it a uniform layout, returning to accommodate the 16,000-18,000 viewers who at the time of the Romans were able to attend the shows. The access was made up of two portals framed by columns of ionic order, placed on the main axis in the direction of the city and in the direction of Foggia. On the archives of the portals the inscription recalls the construction of the amphitheater by the local magistrate Marco Vicilio Campo. Two more accesses were opened on the minor axis. The arena measures 75.20 meters for 43.20 meters. and is bordered by a water collection channel and a podium where four accesses to the arena open. Below the arena is dug a long open service tunnel for three pits, where rainwater from the collection channels also flowed.