Tourist Attraction in City of San Marino: Torre La Cesta
The Cesta, also known as Fratta or Second Tower, is one of the three towers dominating the city of San Marino. The Cesta rises at the highest peak of Mount Titano (755 m above sea level), and its primitive nucleus, as evidenced by the etymology of the word, was used as a watch tower in Roman times, while its presence is cited in a document of 1253. In 1320 it was equipped with another wall and a series of fortifications that constitute the second defensive line of the city. The door through which it is possible to access inside, was opened in the 16th century and rebuilt in 1596 as suggested by an engraving on the sides of the Coat of Arms of the Republic. Although the tower has been subject to restoration and alteration several times, it still has the aspect that distinguishes the medieval towers with both caduceo and balestriere. The fortilite was restored in 1924 with an intervention that saved it from degradation by restoring its original appearance. The Cesta is home to the Museum of Ancient Weapons of San Marino since 1956, where about 700 specimens of weapons belong to different typologies and epochs of construction. The exhibition is divided into four different halls and houses some important armor specimens, gunshot weapons, firearms, wheel, flint or experimental weapons of the nineteenth century. The 2nd tower can be visited by the public at the following times: From 20 March to 20 September: 8 am to 8 pm From 21 September to 19 March: from 8 am to 5 pm.