Tourist Attraction in City of San Marino: Palazzo Pubblico
The San Marino public palace, also known as the Government Palace, is the venue for the official ceremonies of the Republic of San Marino and is home to the main institutional and administrative bodies, such as the captains of regents, the Grand and General Council, the XII Council and the State Congress. It is located in the capital of the state, San Marino, located on Mount Titano. The building stands where Domus Magna Comunis once stood, that is, the old building dating back to the end of the 14th century (1380-1392). The old palace, despite numerous restorations, was demolished towards the end of the nineteenth century. The facade of the public palace is supported by three arches with sixth acute and is characterized by the presence of three large openings and the clock tower. On the sandstone surface are the coat of arms of illustrious Italian houses, while on the arches of the porch are inserted those of the four castles that composed the ancient Republic, namely Serravalle, Fiorentino, Faetano and Montegiardino. On the right side of the façade there is a bronze statue of the founder of the Republic, Santo Marino, made in 1894 by the sculptor Giulio Tadolini. On the clock tower there is a mosaic triptych depicting the saints Leo, Agata and Marino. Tower bites as well as those of the main body are guelph type. At the center of the façade there is the balcony from which, on April 1 and October 1 of each year, the names of the regent captains elected for the semester are announced. Below the portico there are three large entrance doors and there is a marble bust, always made by Giulio Tadolini, depicting the architect Francesco Azzurri. The lobby of the building is characterized by a sober and at the same time elegant style. The scene is dominated by the large stone staircase leading up to the balcony. On the left side there is a coat of arms of the Republic, while on the right there is a bronze bust by Tullo Golfarelli, depicting Giosuè Carducci, who on September 30, 1894 pronounced the inaugural inauguration of the palace. On the top of the walls, a temperament fascia features the coats of arms of the characters and states that have shown friendship with the Republic over the centuries. At the bottom of the lobby there are the doors that give access to the rooms where Captain Regents receive important guests and citizens. Along the walls of the staircase there are several tombstones depicting illustrious Sammarinese and foreign characters (including Giuseppe Mazzini) along with two balconies of the sixteenth century. There is also the bronze head of Abraham Lincoln, to which the Sammarinesis granted honorary citizenship in 1861. The US President, in that same year, showed his sympathy to the Republic by writing to the captains Regent: In the vestibule between the two gates access to the Grand and General Council Room can be seen in a ceramic triptych depicting the three patron saints of the Republic, namely San Marino, San Quirino and Sant'Agata. The triptych was originally on the Clock Tower, but was later moved in 1922 as it was compromised by atmospheric agents.