Tourist Attraction in Matera: Chiesa dei Santi Pietro e Paolo
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul, popularly known as St. Peter's Caveoso Church, is a place of Catholic worship in Matera, originally from the late 13th century. Its initial construction dates back to 1218. In 1706 the church was reconsecrated, as indicated on a tombstones, and was still altered: the cusp on the bell tower was added, the interior was covered with stucco and decorations and a wooden countertop underneath it was placed tuff roof. The baroque salient facade features, at the bottom, three portals with a simple frame on the top. Above each of them, there are as many semicircular niches containing statues; They depict the Madonna of Mercy (above the central portal), St. Paul's Apostle (above the right portal) and St. Peter's Apostle (above the left portal). The two lateral niches are in turn surmounted by a rectangular window each; On the other hand, the central one is flanked by two single-face arches with a full bow and surmounted by a rosonecirculare. To the left of the facade stands the bell tower, on three orders; between the second and the third order, there is a balaton with a geometric motif carved balustrade. The bell tower ends with a pyramidal cusp, at the base closest to the bell tower. The central tuff nave is hidden from the countertop of wooden tables decorated with paintings representing Christ who entrusts the future of the Church to St. Peter, Madonna del Confalone and Conversione di San Paolo. In the medallions: San Giovanni da Matera, San Donato and the angels, and, at the highest altar, Coronation of the Virgin. Originally there were eight side chapels, four on the left and four on the right. The central nave ends with an eighteenth-century altar dominated by a wooden polyptych dated around 1540, an anonymous maternal painter, depicting the Madonna with Child among the saints Peter and Paul; on the predella is depicted the Last Supper; at the top the depiction of the Eternal. Between the four chapels on the left, the first is dedicated to the Sorrowful Virgin, with cruise lines and very few traces of fresco allegedly of the fifteenth century; houses a seventeenth-century canvas with the Pietà of the painter Alessandro Fracanzano. In the second chapel, under the cover of eighteenth-century stuccoes, two sets of sixteenth-century frescoes by Martino Deghello are reopened after the restorations. The third chapel is dedicated to St. Anthony and houses an altar decorated with six tuff-shaped, bas-relief reliefs, dated 1531 and probably made by Altobello Persio. Right and left two paintings of the 17th century depicting a Madonna with Child and St. Anthony. The last chapel, now dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, houses the baptismal font of the thirteenth century, decorated with bas-reliefs, revealed by the restorations that liberated it from the stucco layer added over the centuries. There are also 17th-century frescoes of saints, including San Francesco and San Domenico, and part of a probably sixteenth-century wooden bas-relief representing God's blessing Father.