Tourist Attraction in Ravello: Basilica di Santa Maria Assunta
The Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta and San Pantaleone is the main place of Catholic worship in Ravello, in the province of Salerno; Until 1818 the bishopric of the Diocese of Ravello, is currently home to the homonymous parish belonging to the Archdiocese of Amalfi-Cava de Tirreni. On July 10, 1918, Pope Benedict XV elevated the former cathedral to the rank of a minor basilica It was founded in 1086-1087 on the model of the Montecassino abbey; at this time the archives of the three gates in the facade date back. Remarkable is the central portal, with bronze forms, by Barisano da Trani dated 1179, donated by Sergio Muscettola, husband of Sigilgaida Pironti. In the middle of the third row of the left wing reads: "Remember, O Lord, your servant Sergio Muscettola and his wife Sigilgaida and his sons Mauro and John, and his daughter Anna, for he made this door in the year 1179 of the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ in honor Of God and of the Holy Virgin »The two-storey bell tower, with twin and twisted arches dates back to the 13th century. In the 18th century the porch was demolished in front of the facade. In the same century, the interior had been redecorated with baroque stuccos, later removed (they were preserved only in the transept and in the apse). Inside two gorgeous marble inlays enrich it by facing: to the right the gospel ambone, by Nicola di Bartolomeo da Foggia (1272), and to the left one of Byzantine derivation, depicting the biblical episode of the prophet Giona And the sea monster, donated by the second bishop of Ravello. In the sixteenth century chapel to the left of the presbytery, according to tradition, San Pantaleone blood ampoule, a relic in Ravello already in 1112, is preserved, and every year presents the phenomenon of liquefaction. Restored in the 1930s by the architect Gino Chierici, who modified the baroque facade, later in the seventies, the interiors were stripped of the baroque robe, made up of vaults and columns embodying the Romanesque columns made to consolidate the Structures damaged by seismic events .. After several years of construction work, finally in 1996, the superintendent of the Superintendence BB.AA. SS. Of Salerno and Avellino, Arch. Ruggero Martines was able to find the funds to complete the restoration work. Under his guidance with the collaboration and consultancy of Arch. Alberto White was reopened with the completion of the work and nowadays the famous sacred monument, in a space context in which the three Roman aisles and the baroque presbytery converse, can worthily host the precious artistic treasures, also resturati.