Tourist Attraction in Benevento: Basilica di San Bartolomeo Apostolo
The Basilica of St. Bartholomew Apostle The first town temple dedicated to Saint Bartholomew was adjacent to the Benevento cathedral. It was a chapel, wished by Prince Longobardo Sicardo of Benevento; It was accomplished on October 25, 839 by Archbishop Ursus, who transferred the body of St. Bartholomew to Apostle, brought to the city in 838 by Lipari to Benevento by Sicardo himself. In 1122 Archbishop Landolfo erected a new building, more Imposing and separate from the cathedral, but from this not far away, which arose in the place called Orsini square. The shapes of the new basilica were evident Romanesque: it was a central plant, adorned with fine polychrome marble and a magnificent cosmatic floor (of which recent archaeological excavations, led by the Superintendence, brought to light some of the songs). In 1430, Archbishop Gasparre Colonna erected a large dome, crowned by two other smaller domes, which ruined the earthquake of 1688. Rebuilt by Orsini in the same place, was again destroyed by the earthquake of 1702. Its bronze doors Engraved by Oderisio da Benevento, were fused and used for the restoration of those of the Duomo. The church survives fragments of sculpture (preserved at the Museo del Sannio), frescoes, pieces of the cosmatic floor, brought to light by recent excavations. In Piazza Orsini a structure was built on the site of excavation. The basilica of St. Bartholomew is one nave, and on each side there are two chapels. Architectural members are exalted and emphasized by a stucco play, by Raguzzini himself. The basilicula is covered with a barreled barrel, also decorated with stucco. Remarkable is the second chapel on the left, a work by Ragguini, dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, with a painting by San Michele, an unknown work of the eighteenth century, and the coat of arms of Cardinal Coscia. In the first chapel on the left, there is a canvas dedicated to the Madonna del Rosario (17th century). The two niches, on their sides, have statues of St. Francis of Assisi and San Francesco di Paola. The canvas with San Filippo Benizio and San Bartolomeo in the second chapel on the right is by Francesco Solimena (1729). The apse, preceded by two cantories, features a elaborate choral choir with six wooden statues of the Apostles and the majestic papal throne in the center. They painted Giuseppe Castellano's paintings, including Brass III asking Beneventans the body of St. Bartholomew, and the canvas of Giuseppe Simonelli with the patron saints of Benevento: San Gennaro, San Francesco Saverio, San Filippo Neri, Assunta with the child . On the entry door, artist Marco Benefial painted the celebratory canvas of the Archbishop of Ravenna Consecration, performed by Pope Benedict XIII in the Benevento Cathedral. On the sides of the door are two sculptural fragments of the Basmatieval basilica. In the sacristy there is an interesting collection of sacred vestments of the eighteenth century, among which the paiale worn by Pope Benedict XIII when he transferred the remains of St. Bartholomew.