Tourist Attraction in Bologna: Basilica di San Giacomo Maggiore
The Basilica of San Giacomo Maggiore is a place of Catholic worship in the city of Bologna. It was founded in 1267 as a church of the Agostinian Order. Inside there is the chapel Bentivoglio, a splendid fifteenth-century architecture, rich in Renaissance artwork. Already from 1247 the community of hermits of Blessed John Bono from Mantua, called Giamboniti, had settled close to the walls of Bologna along the course of Savena, where they founded their monastery and the church devoted to St. James. The hermits of St. James of Savena were part of the new great organization called "Hermit Order of Sant'Agostino", wanted in 1256 by Pope Alexander IV, whose first general was Lanfranco Settala from Milan, jambonite coming from the Bolognese community. The Savena hermits soon sought a more suitable place in the city to facilitate their work of apostolate and avoid the discomforts of a place unheard of: so on April 25, 1267 was the first stone of the new factory on the road San Donato, In a place adjacent to the parish church of Santa Cecilia. The work went on slowly: over time, the friars managed to buy the whole area and carry the building, thanks to the giving of the faithful and to the collection of the gabelles granted by the Commune. The building was completed in 1315, but its consecration took place in 1344, after the construction of the abside 1331-1343. The church was a single nave covered with a sloping roof with visible trusses (perhaps a hull) and ended with a chapel of polygonal apex headlined with two square chapels, all three vaulted vaulted. Romanesque, inspired by the simplicity and poverty of the beggars' Orders, the church demonstrated a conception of Gothic inspirational space (vertical thrust, ogival windows, funerary arches). In the fifteenth century the Bentivoglio took it under special protection and realized their chapel of gentility 1463-1468 and the long portico on the street San Donato 1477-1481. In 1471 the bell tower was raised and between 1483 and 1498 the interior was overthrown, creating, instead of the medieval wooden trellis, a new three-seater roof and a dome. So they created the spaces for the new chapels on the side walls that enriched Renaissance altars and baroque with profusion of paintings. With the advent of Napoleon and the suppression of the religious Orders, the Augustinians were removed; They returned in 1824, but part of their convent had become, since 1804, the headquarters of the Conservatory of Music. The Augustinians abandoned the Convent of St. James after 1860 with the so-called eversive laws of the new Kingdom of Italy, remaining as custodians of the church. The Augustinian convent assumed an important cultural role and was one of the most distinguished General Studies of the Order. Among the distinguished figures of this monastery are: Ugolino Malebranche from Orvieto, Giacomo da Viterbo, Cardinal Seripando, Cherubino Ghirardacci, Luigi Torelli OSA, Jacopo della Lana, Simone da Todi, Matteo da Rimini, Stefano Bellesini. It is the oldest part Of St. James, two sloping, with slender proportions of late Romanesque. The ornaments of Istria stone on Venetian Venetian ogival windows were executed by Lombard masters in 1295. Perhaps in the early 14th century the four archacular burial cells, just below those on the porch, were added to the facade and the protiro Original was modified by adapting lion stylists that originally were facing outward. On the right, the entrance of the old convent, now Conservatory "G. B. Martini", and the sixteenth-century grave of Annibale Coltelli.