Tourist Attraction in Casaletto Ceredano: Santuario Madonna delle Fontane
The sanctuary of Our Lady of the Fountains is a place of Marian worship located in Casaletto Ceredano. It is located at the western limits of the town, along the road leading to Abbadia Cerreto. Although the building is modern, the origins of the cult are ancient and date back to the 17th century. Tradition speaks of an eight-year-old deaf child, named Abele, who in an unspecified year before 1687 moved away from his home, losing ground in the marsh bushes still characterizing the surroundings of the village. It was unnecessarily sought after, unable to hear the calls, spending one night out of the house; the next day he heard the calls and spoke, no longer deaf and dumb and telling to have spent the night in the company of a woman dressed as contandina that would flow a fountain to quench. The fact was considered miraculous and began devotion to Madonna delle Fontane. According to the book of the "Schola del Santissimo Rosario" kept in the parish archive, in 1687 this Battistelli (who might have been the father of the child) commissioned the construction of a wooden statue depicting the Madonna as a peasant in the " able to protect a child. The fountain, however, was isolated from a series of bricks to form a rectangular hole with three descending steps, followed by the construction of a niche with the frescoed image reproducing the same iconography of the statue. In 1864, a chef's cheese merchant, who went to the village to buy grain cheese in the local dairy farm (still existing) on the way back, was crushed by the carriage from the terracing of the road as he passed the niche and attributed his safety to the Madonna of the Fountains. He then commissioned a new wooden statue replacing the previous one, probably deteriorating over time. In 1964, in the centenary of the "Black Grain" miracle, the Casaletto population expanded the chapel further, making it the shape of a temple, and in September the statue of Our Lady was crowned at the end of a solemn procession. However rising damp, characteristic of that area once swampy and placed in ancient times on the edge of Lake Gerundo, brought him quickly to the ruins, making it virtually unusable. The existing building dates back to 1978 when, during the celebration of IV Novembre, was given the option to build a real church stressed, then, by a specially formed committee. The official inauguration took place on 13 September 1980 in the presence of the Bishop of Crema, Monsignor Carlo Manziana, and with the participation of mayors, authorities and political figures. The sanctuary was made of reinforced concrete with a vase shaped shell. Along the northern wall there is a niche with the magnificent madonna, placed in front of the fountain with the original steps, now enclosed by a wrought iron gate to which popular devotion has hung a few votive. On the southern front lies the altar from the Crema Cathedral. The cover, always made of reinforced concrete, consists of two sloping slats with remarkable armor for the support. Outside, two commemorative graves recall the solemn ceremony of the inauguration and the list of members of the sanctuary construction committee.