Tourist Attraction in Campobasso: Chiesa di San Leonardo
The church of San Leonardo was built in the 14th century in Gothic Romanesque. In 1338 it was inaugurated and managed by a religious confraternity of Dominicans, then SSan Giorgio transferred the baptismal font and became the main church of the medieval town, halfway between the castle and the base outside the walls of Campobasso. The 1456 earthquake damaged the church, which was expanded inside. The earthquake of 1805 also caused damage, even if not serious. The stair ramp was replaced in the '900 with a more modern one. The interior paintings are paintings of the sixteenth century, like the pictures of the Supper of Jesus and the Virgin running to the Lord. The structural components of the church are from the late nineteenth century. XIV: The portal, with Gothic inspiration, has little strombulation and consists of smooth jambs, pillars and columns: the arches, with spiral central molding, enclose the crucified lamb in the lunette. Romanesque is the monofora on the left of the portal, delineated by interlaces of branches and floral motifs. The actual staircase dates back to the early 1900's and replaces it a much slimmer and compact.