Tourist Attraction in Teramo: Chiesa di Sant'Antonio
Under the rule Svevo before and under Angioino then the city of Teramo was equipped with the most important buildings still existing: in 1207 Bishop Sasso granted municipal freedom to the city and this renewed confidence led to a period of peace and economic development building; Precisely in this period will be built the bishop's palace, the church and convent of San Domenico and San Francesco. The first structure of the convent of San Francesco dates back to 1227, with features similar to the contemporary convent of the Dominican monks of Porta Romana (convent of San Domenico) and the Franciscan convent of Campli: it was presented with a single-class church and a rectangular apse with high ogival bifore Trilobata, porch cloister, refectory and dormitory cells; In 1309 the bell-tower was built by Master Antonio of Florio and shortly after, in 1327, the church was completed and expanded. In 1584, while it was dug to embellish the cloister, bronze idols, medals, column pieces, marbles and a porphyry slab of safe Roman bill were brought to light. The side of the church, riddled with buttresses, has two windows, a rosette and a closed recess; Of the archers forming the crowning frame, cut down during the Baroque remake, remains a part of the bell tower. On the main façade you can see the remains of a fresco depicting St. Ambrose, at least due to the popular tradition, a horizontal frame at the center of the forehead presents the same bill of the portal with a sequence of leaves; Upstream of the frame you will notice two closed windows and one higher and larger that illuminates the nave. The typology of the portal refers to those of the Atri cathedral and the church of Santa Maria di Propezzano in Morro d'Oro, but it coincides almost perfectly with that of San Francesco in Campli and Sant'Antonio in Morro D'Oro: On a large stump of the wall and composed with great harmony of inlay elements, tortilla columns and floral motifs; Trotters or fish hooks go to the archivolto where the decoration is enriched with foliage turns. The single foliage elements are arranged with the bend folded according to the curvature of the semicircle so as to let the effect of an emerging leaf behind each other be made, composing in a large variety a single element. Finally note the bird sculpted in the leaves of the left capitals and the two birds in the center and upstream of the lunette and under the key.