Tourist Attraction in Ascoli Piceno: Chiesa di San Tommaso Apostolo
The church of San Tommaso Apostolo is among the religious buildings of Romanesque style in the city of Ascoli Piceno. It stands beside the homonymous square near Porta Gemina, which houses the ruins of the Roman amphitheater of Ascoli Piceno, re-built in 1974. The monks led a simple life, also following the rule of not having personal property. They lived inside the building attached to the church where there is also the cloister currently used in the Museum of Ceramic Arts. The present aspect of construction is due to interventions in the 13th century. The architecture is shown with a simple wide facade entirely made of square travertine trusses, tripartite with sloping edges, crowned on top of a frame. On the tympanum there are five circular shaped bowls in ceramicainserite in 1930, replacing the ancient ones, below the rose window, rebuilt in 1948. At the height of the port arches setting, a cording runs horizontally. The three-door façade has pontoon holes and travertine hooks needed to set up mobile structures that were added during the city festivities. On the right is raised the square tower tower. This is the oldest bell in Ascoli Piceno dating back to 1283. An archway is opened on the left flank. The interior of the hall, with a basilic plant, is harmonious and linear, it is shown with features of bare mixed elegance with severe essence. It is divided into three naves divided by cross-shaped pillars and columns alternating with re-use of portions of medieval columns and Roman rocks. These elements are characterized by straight, grooved and smooth drums, rigid arches, and ceiling trusses. The walls of the central nave, the pillars supporting the dome and the apse of the apse, are decorated with stunning stuccoes, performed by Emidio Paci in 1872. They are depicted by St. Vincent de Paul, St. Philip Neri, St. Gerolamo Emiliani, St. Catherine of Siena, the Blessed Margaret of Savoy, Saint Calasanz, the four major Prophets and angels surrounded by various ornaments. In the side section of the transept, there is a travertine altar dating to the first half of the eighteenth century, with two tapered columns supporting the Ionic capitals, the marble paliotto is inlaid. On the altar is displayed the Pietà lump, oil on canvas, 1.90 meters for 2.95, a work considered among the excellent made by the mouth of the Biagio Mine. It represents the Sadly-Sadened Sitting, which welcomes on the knees the body of Jesus depleted by the cross. On the sides are paintings of Joseph of Arimathea, Maddalena, Nicodemus, Saint John, St. Francis of Assisi. At the top, between the two parts of the broken pediment, the image of Santa Barbara, where the altar is dedicated. In the left nave there are six small monofore and four, larger, in the central nave. The transept, raised, has a walled monofora and a double bottom.