The church of San Francesco is among the monuments that, along with the Captain's Palace, the historic Caffè Meletti and the loggias, delimit the Piazza del Popolo, the heart of the city of Ascoli Piceno. Antonio Rodilossi describes it as one of the most interesting Italian examples of Franciscan architecture, as well as the most representative Franciscan church in the Marche region. It is the center of a monumental complex composed of two adjacent cloisters: the Cloister Major and the Minor Cloister. The church was born to remember the visit of Saint Francis to Ascoli Piceno in 1215 and the saint preserves his name, although it was dedicated and consecrated on 24 June 1371 to St. John the Baptist by the bishop Giovanni Acquaviva. The emotional wave generated by the preaching of the poor man in Assisi shook the life and soul of many ascolans, including thirty young men who wore the wax and became followers of the saint, giving rise to the first Franciscan community of Ascolan of the minor conventual Friars. Order had its first residence outside the city walls in the Campo Parignano area. In 1257 Pope Alexander IV and General Minister San Bonaventura granted the friars permission to move within the city and to alienate their convent. With the proceeds from the sale, the small Franciscan community acquired a portion of the land in the "vico qui scadya nominatur", the current Piazza del Popolo, and in this space began the construction of the church and the pertinences of the cloisters and the convent which also housed The popes Niccolò IV and Sisto V. The laying of the first stone took place in 1258, this was blessed and sent by Pope Alexander IV, although the concrete construction of the religious building began only in 1262 due to various difficulties that arose. Inside the environment of the sacristy are numerous paintings of the XVI and XVIII century, some of which of Nicola Monti and a table of uncertain attribution. There are also wardrobes from the present church of St. Peter and Paul of Campo Parignano where there were the Reformed Fathers of the then church of St. Anthony Abbot. The walnut cupboards are made by local chefs who made them from the designs of Giuseppe Giosafatti and Biagio Mine. They are set up on two orders and fitted with counters. The left wardrobe features a painting of 2 x 1 m, attributed to Mine, depicting the figure of Saint Francis in front of the Virgin with the Child. The Gothic travertine portal, with its wooden door designed by Cola dell'Amatrice, overlooks Piazza del Popolo and is located in the middle of the exterior wall, between the Loggia dei Mercanti and the so-called Lazzaro Morelli newsstand. It was supposedly made at the beginning of the 14th century. It is articulated on an all-round bow with a prominent background, surrounded by three orders of tortilla columns, different from each other. The capitals merge into a single band, enriched by two alternating orders of protruding leaf leaves. In the lunette, the fresco painted by Pope Paul V. On the top of the Gothic portal, at a time after its laying down, between 1506 and 1510, the monument to Pope Julius II was housed. It was realized by Bernardino's master Pietro da Carona and inaugurated on February 22, 1510. In the central niche, the statue of the pontiff sat on the throne and blessed above the Christ, and in the lateral niches, four Saints of the Order of St. Francis. At the base of the papal statue a tombstone is engraved. Pope had the merit of having liberated the city of Ascoli Piceno from the abominations of Astolfo and Gianfrancesco Guiderocchi, respectively father and son, who were locked in order to the fortress of Forlì and away from the city.