Tourist Attraction in Ascoli Piceno: Lavatoio Pubblico di Ascoli Piceno
The public washhouse of Ascoli Piceno, dating back to the 17th century, also known as the Source of Sant'Emidio, is located in the Porta Cappuccino district near the Roman Bridge. His story is linked to the tradition of one of the prodigies that St. Emmy, martyr Cephalophor, patron of Ascoli Piceno, worked in the city. It is said that the saint does not have the water necessary to baptize all the new faithful, converted to Christianity from his preaching, if he obtained it by striking a stone from which the spring that fed this source sprung out. Another tradition, accredited by the author According to Whale, wants water from the spring to have sprung from the stone that was the point where it fell and rolled the decapitated head of Sant'Emidio whose martyrdom was fulfilled, at Porta Solestà in the place where now stands the temple of Sant'Emidio Rosso, near the source. There is news to regulate their use, already in 1625, when the announcement was published: "Since the announcement was issued under the last 7th of July 1625 that you can not wash clothes, you know, in other sorts of clothes, much as well as foreigners, in the fountain of solitude for up to 22 hours under the shield of two for each and every time, so that they are not prevented until 22 o'clock so that women can easily wash their clothes »On the wall inside, at the top left, two concerts have the inscription. "Do not stop the women from washing under the guise of three council shields of the celebrated council. February 3, 1677 »The current laundry is the result of various overhaulings that took place over time, between 1904 and 1905 its recomposition lowered its level. It is entirely made of travertine and it holds its tanks inside a rectangular space, which is accessed down a few steps. The area is framed by a loggia divided into five airy arches, surmounted by a balustrade of columns. It also houses remains of an older architecture dating to the 12th century, and some traces can still be distinguished in the righteous parts. There are no two demolished fountains that were made by the Donato Madonna of Bergamo in the seventeenth century.