The National Archaeological Museum of the Marche within the sixteenth-century Palazzo Ferretti, Includes rich collections of Greek, Roman and Senoni Galleries. The findings of the Picena civilization form the most complete collection existing; For the richness of its collections the museum is one of the most important archaeological museums in Italy, the institution gained state recognition and assumed the denomination of the National Archaeological Museum of the Marches. Recognition of the national interest should not be underestimated since at that time Italian archaeological museums were few, including the three of Rome, and those of Naples, Florence, Cagliari, Taranto, Parma and Portogruaro. After the opening of the Ancona and Matera museums (1911), the number of archaeological museums remained stable until the 1970s. The museum remained at the Convent of the Scalzi until 1923 when it was transferred to the spacious premises of the convent of San Francesco alle Scale and inaugurated on October 9, 1927 in the presence of King Vittorio Emanuele III of Savoy According to the criteria of the era, the cloisters were turned into flowering gardens, the furnishings were made by expert architects, the supports of the showcases were inspired by the trapezoids Pompeii; all this made the museum's environment at the height of the collections hosted. The sections were three: prehistoric, picena and gallica, while specific areas were dedicated to the numismatic collection and the rich collections from the Numana necropolis Picena and from the Greek-Roman Ancona. For the reopening of the National Archaeological Museum of the Marche, it was to be expected in 1958 when it was set up in the present prestigious Palazzo Ferretti. The strong earthquake that struck Ancona in 1972 forced a new closure, which lasted until 1988. From that date, the museum gradually reopened its sections, starting from prehistoric and prehistoric ones, to continue with those of the Copper Age and Bronze, Hellenistic, and finally Roman. In 2015, the high-tech section and the rich numismatic collection have yet to be re-opened; the reopening of the Roman section must also be completed. The role of the Museum in the protection of the regional archaeological heritage. The National Museum has always played an active role in countering the phenomenon of illegal overseas sale of finds which, unfortunately, is also present in the Marches throughout Italy. An example was the recovery of the Bronze gilded by Cartoceto di Pergola: in 1946, despite the inconvenience of the bombings that had half-buried the museum's headquarters, the only employee still in service went to the place of the discovery and took possession of the fragments of gilded bronze that had just been dug, while the landowner had urgently gone to Rome; suspecting that the sudden trip was due to the intention of contacting the illegal antique market, the employee sequestered the finds in the name of the state and made it possible to hand over other previously hidden fragments. Thus it was possible, since 1959, to expose the famous statuary group to the public. In the negative, the role of the Museum is deducible by events that occurred before its establishment: the masterpieces of Greek pottery found in the Marche at the Metropolitan Museum in New York were completed; among them, four monumental craters of Numana and the lekythos of Ancona with the myth of Poseidon and Amymone. Along with New York, the amber Morgan, an amazing carved amber depicting Aphrodite and Adonis, found in the area of Ancona The prehistoric section includes four areas dedicated to the Paleolithic, Neolithic, Copper Age and Bronze Age .