Tourist Attraction in Macerata: Chiesa di San Filippo Neri
The church of San Filippo Neri is a Catholic worship building in Macerata. From 1611, there came to Macerata some Filippine Fathers who resided at various churches; in 1624, after two years of the canonization of the founding father of the Philippine Order, Saint Filippo Neri, they built a church at the middle of the course of the Republic, the first worldwide dedicated to the saint. Given the great number of faithful who attended the church, the Filippine Fathers, after various extensions, decided to build a larger and new one within easy reach of the church of St. John. The first stone was placed on December 17, 1697 by Gian Battista Contini's design. In 1799, with the arrival of the French, the Filipino Fathers were expelled and the church became the parish house of Santa Maria della Porta; After two years everything went back to normal. In 1810, with the return of Napoleon, the Fathers and the Church closed to worship again until 1820, when, with the intervention of Bishop Vincenzo Maria Strambi, the religious could return to 1847, when they were replaced by Barnabith Fathers. In 1861, following the laws of the Italian government, the Barnabit Fathers were expelled and the church was sold in 1866 to the Brotherhood of the Sacred Stigmata of St. Francis, who still cares for the building today. In 1997, following the earthquake that struck the Marche and Umbria, the building suffered damage and was closed for a long time. For a few years it has been reopened to the public following a restoration lasting several years. The church of San Filippo in Macerata and one of the best examples of baroque buildings of the Marche. The building is on an elliptical plant, full of baroque style marbles and canvases. On the main altar, by the Venetian Giuseppe Boni, you can admire stuccoes of the Piani and a canvas representing St. Philip in the glory of Mancini's work.