Tourist Attraction in Macerata: Museo Pinacoteca della Santa Casa
The Apostolic Palace is located in the Piazza della Madonna in Loreto. It is part of the sanctuary basilica complex and houses the Santa Casa Pinacoteca Museum. The Museum preserves the so-called Santa Casa Treasure, paintings, sculptures, tapestries and majolica from the sanctuary and donated to the Holy House over the centuries. The imposing building was designed by the great architect Donato Bramante, sent to Loreto in 1507-09 by Pope Julius II. It was a great work with three wings and a double order of arches that had to claw the entire square in front of the Sanctuary of the Holy House. The construction was begun by the north arm by Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane, starting at the side of the bell tower, and continued by Giovanni Boccalini who finished the upper floor. The yard probably stopped due to lack of funds. In 1573, the architect Raniero Nerucci sculpted the portal in classical style, with its slender proportions and its elegant and sophisticated look. This portal was actually destined for the basilica, from which it was removed and walled in the Apostolic Palace in 1580. In 1643 Pope Urban VIII tried to expropriate the houses on the south side of the square, in vain. The works only began with Luigi Vanvitelli who completed the north side, looking at the basilica, in the eighteenth century. The work stopped again and remained unfinished in the southern side. Since 1936 the ground floor and basements have been designed for the reception of infirm pilgrims who arrive through the "White Trains". Near the Sanctuary there is the Holy House Congregation; In the upper floors is the Treasury Museum of the Holy House. The Museum, housed in 28 rooms, is located in the upper floors of the apostolic palace and preserves the Treasury of the Holy House, paintings, sculptures, tapestries and majolica, goldware and furniture from the sanctuary and donated to the Holy House over the centuries. In the collection of paintings stand out the eight works of late maturity of Lorenzo Lotto, almost all dated and painted between 1549 and 1556: Baptism of Christ, Christ and Adultery, Santi Rocco, Cristoforo e Sebastiano (1531), San Michele Lucifer hunting, Adoration of the Magi, Adoration of the Child, Sacrifice of Melchisedec, and amongst all the extreme Presentation at the Temple. The painter moved definitively to Loreto in 1554 and died there in 1556 in absolute silence. Noteworthy are the over 500 pieces of Renaissance pharmacy pottery, partly from the Urbain's workshop of Orazio Fontana and donated to the sanctuary by Cardinal Giulio Della Rovere. Outstanding value is the ten woven tapestries in Brussels on Raffaello's cartoons. Among the works of high goldsmiths, is the precious silver crucifix modeled by the Giambologna donated by Cristina di Lorena in 1573.