Tourist Attraction in Macerata: Sferisterio di Macerata
The Sferisterio di Macerata is an outdoor arena located in the historic center of Macerata. Originally a semi-circular arena for the ballet game with a bracelet, subsequently adapted to a theatrical arena and an acoustic work of appreciation and home to various cultural festivals. The building was designed in 1823 by the neoclassical architect Ireneo Aleandri (designer, among other things, of the Viaduct dell'Ariccia and of the Teatro Nuovo "Gian Carlo Menotti" in Spoleto). It has a maximum capacity of about 2800 places and is known since 1921 for the summer opera season called "Macerata Opera" and has since 2006 been transformed into "Sferisterio Opera Festival" by then artistic director Pier Luigi Pizzi. Since 2012, the Festival, directed by Francesco Micheli, is called "Macerata Opera Festival". In 2005, after the demonstration took place in Recanati, for the first time here were the finals of the Musicultura competition, won by Simone Cristicchi with the university student song. The Sferisterio di Macerata was built, like most of the seventeenth-century Ottoman historical theaters, thanks to the initiative of a group of wealthy private citizens with head Guarnieri Pacifico and Gonfaloniere Nicola Ranaldi who, eager to donate to the city a new structure for the public show, they were self-taxing to finance their realization. How to remember the inscription on the facade: "Ornament of the city, in public delight. The generosity of a hundred consorts built up. On May 9, 1819, the Circus Congregation Circus banned a project contest for the design of the work, choosing judges at the Academy of Fine Arts in Bologna and the National Academy of San Luca. The design phase and the realization of the building were rather troubled. The assignment was initially entrusted to Macerata's engineer Salvatore Innocenzi, who started construction work in 1820. Suspended the works for three years, in 1823, the project was completed, based on a new project, the twenty-eighty architect Ireneo Aleandri (1795-1885), who was involved in the construction of the Teatro Feronia di San Severino Marche at the same time. Opened in 1829 with a great party, during 91 years it hosted various sporting events and circus shows. For bracelet ball tournaments, the local team was very much followed up in the early years of the last century by adding mobile tribunes to the facility, which hosted about 10,000 fans who encouraged athletes during races. In fact, the best ballists of several generations, including the famous Carlo Didimi, immortalized by Giacomo Leopardi in the note ode A a winner in the balloon, competed here.