Tourist Attraction in Sassocorvaro: Rocca Ubaldinesca
The Sassocorvaro Fortress, also known as the Ubaldines Fortress, is a fortification of the Renaissance period, located in the town of Sassocorvaro in the province of Pesaro in Montefeltro. It is located in the center of the village, set on a hill overlooking the valley of the Foglia river. It was built around 1475 by Francesco di Giorgio Martini in the early years of his service as architect and military engineer of Duke Federico da Montefeltro. The fortress, however, belonged to Ottaviano degli Ubaldini's brother-in-law of the duke. During the Second World War, the fort was intended to preserve over 10,000 masterpieces of art coming from Venice, Urbino, Pesaro, Fano, Ancona, Lagosta, Fabriano, Jesi, Osimo, Macerata, Fermo, Ascoli Piceno Giorgione, the ideal city and many other works by renowned artists including Raffaello Sanzio, Piero della Francesca, Carlo Crivelli, Tiziano, Lorenzo Lotto, Paolo Uccello and Andrea Mantegna) that were hidden in the years 1943-1944 by the Superintendent to the fine arts of Round Easter Brands, to avoid being overthrown by the Nazis retreating or destroyed by Allied bombings. That is why today the rock is also called the arch of art. The fortification was built on pre-existence, including a canopy that was preserved and inserted into the facade of the courtyard of honor. The plant, arranged around a small inner courtyard, is distinguished by its turtle shape. This obvious zoomorfism is linked to the research of Francesco di Giorgio about the anthropomorphism in architecture. The obtained form is the complex result of the intersection of convex shapes and differs from both the contemporary fortifications of the transition phase, characterized by quadrangular shapes and circular towers, as well as subsequent fortifications to the modern, with angled bastions. Indeed, it is an absolutely singular and experimental work also in the work of Francesco di Giorgio.