Tourist Attraction in Terni: Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta
The cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is the cathedral of Terni, and cathedral of the Diocese of Terni Narni melia. The present cathedral is the result of a series of constructions and interventions that have happened over the centuries. Local tradition states that the first cathedral, corresponding to the crypt, was built on the remains of a Roman pagan temple, by the holy bishop of Ternano Anastasio, in the 6th century: the consolidation work carried out in 1932-37 (on projects by Marcello Piacentini ) have brought to light, in the crypt area, three underground apses and remains of a rosette with side bipeds. In the 9th century, due to the undercover position in which the crypt came to be, works were restructured in the crypt and the cathedral, works still taken up in the 12th century. The remains of the Romanesque cathedral remain today, due to the modernization work, according to the tastes of the age, which were set up in the 16th and 17th centuries: raising the central nave, refurbishing the forum and the bell tower, building the baptismal font lateral chapels, and above all the definitive accommodation in the baroque style of the cathedral and the square in front of Gian Lorenzo Bernini's designs (17th century). As for the side tower there was a diatribe in the 1500 for its positioning. In the end, it came to the solution of it to the left of the apse and was rebuilt in 1743. The façade has a large porch with a double order of columns; In the porch there are three doors of Romanesque style, enriched with friezes. The top of the façade is a modern piece of work, consisting of a travertine balustrade and statues of eight bishops from Ternes, including Valentine's Day by Marcello Piacentini. The interior of the building is a three-nave aisle, divided by pillars, with lateral chapels (including the baptistery and the Blessed Sacrament), transept and apse. Among the artistic works, one can mention: the carved wooden chorus of Domenico Corsi (1559); the fresco of the counterfaced with the depiction of the saints, city protectors and angels of the seventeenth century; the baptismal font with sculpted coats of arms of the commune, which financed the work (1585); the canvas with the representation of Noli me tangere, attributed to Guido Reni; the painting depicting Jesus in the olive grove, attributed to the Guercino school (Francesco Cincinnato); the tabernacle of Charles Murena with the relics of the blood of Christ; the organ of the seventeenth century; in the crypt, is the tomb of Saint Anastasios, built using a pagan pagan enriched by cosmatesche forms (other forms of the same type are preserved in sacristy).