Tourist Attraction in Arezzo: Chiesa della Santissima Annunziata
The church of Santissima Annunziata is a place of Catholic worship in Arezzo. The church arose after the miracle of Our Lady of the Tears on February 26, 1490. The statue of Our Lady, attributed to Michele da Firenze, was at that time in the vestibule of the 'a hospital called San Cristoforo. According to the chronicles of time, the statue would tear in front of a young man from Spezia, returning from Loreto, kneeling to pray to the Virgin. The fresco is still visible with the Annunciation, a work by Spinello Aretino, which dates back shortly after 1370. The work of the current building dates back to 1491, first under the direction of Bartolomeo Della Gatta and then, after his death, by Antonio da Sangallo il Vecchio (1505). In 1590 it was decided to place the statue of the Madonna on the main altar. Inside the church are noted the elegant capitals, partly assigned to Pietro Subisso. A remarkable example of window art is the cycle of twelve stained glass windows which, started in 1509, includes six autographs by Guillaume de Marcillat (1520-1525). The Adoration of Shepherds of Niccolò Soggi dates back to 1521. Instead, Pietro da Cortona is attributed to the Virgin that appears in San Francesco (1641). Inside the church also a young opera by Giorgio Vasari, Deposition.