Tourist Attraction in Arezzo: Anfiteatro Romano di Arezzo
The Roman amphitheater of Arezzo is a Roman archaeological site built in Arezzo, located in the south of the "walled city". The amphitheater was built on horseback between the last years of the 1st and the early of II (the dating of the building is to be dated to Adrian age 117-138). It, which suffered during the ages of great misfortunes, was explored for the first time in the years 1914-1915; the excavations, interrupted due to the war, were resumed in 1926. Since 1950 the monument has undergone periodic restorations that have brought it completely to light. The archaeological site has an axis greater than 121 meters and less than 68 meters. The amphitheater is elliptical and features two-tier staircases: the structure, made using sandstone blocks, bricks and marble, remains the plaque and the remains of the ambulances. The stakes at the amphitheater stairs included two holstered halls (corridors covered) and a third ring that had to delimit the arena. Now, the porch and the perimeter ambulatory disappeared, however, it is possible to locate the two main accesses to the extremities of the longitudinal axis and the two secondary ones at the transverse axis. The three ambulances were interposed with two bands of load-bearing structures interrupted by vomitoria, terraneae cellae, and stairway accesses all around the ellipse, alternating with regularity. The structures remain different parts depending on the various points of the perimeter; there are extensive remains of cavea buildings: times of vomit, partially embedded in the remains of the convent, stays of stairs to access the average cavea. The steps of the cavea, however, have disappeared, even if you can indicate the degree of slope, referring to the scarcity left on the ground. It was easy to reconstruct the amphitheater measures: this is a large arena (71.9 for 42.7 meters), only slightly lower than the Coliseum (77 for 46.5 meters). Much smaller is, in proportion, the wall thickness (24.7 meters). Artificial amphitheater structures alternate canonical coatings with others of the most rare type. The times of the annular corridors are in opus coementicum (mixed concrete mortar, that is, tufaceous or siliceous stones). The opus mixtum is used in the murarii coatings, alternating with the opus reticulatum (squares arranged in long oblique rows) at the opus vittatum (file, vittae, rectangular tufts alternating with lateral surfaces). The internal stairs are in travertine, outside, the amphitheater was probably covered with local sandstone. The amphitheater has suffered several plunder over the years and part of the material has been used to make some religious buildings. A testimony to this use is the Saint Bernard Monastery, which was built in the 16th century near the southern hemicycle and which now hosts the Archaeological Museum. Equipped with an expected capacity of around 8,000 to 10,000 viewers, the structure accessible via Margaritone and via Francesco Crispi, is today used as an outdoor theater.