Tourist Attraction in Grosseto: Cattedrale di San Lorenzo
The cathedral of San Lorenzo is the Catholic worship site of the city of Grosseto.
A first building of worship, the church of Santa Maria, was built on the site where the cathedral stands today. Subsequently, the complex was rebuilt between 1294 and 1302 by the Sienese architect Sustes of Rustichino, then undergoing further refinements of Renaissance and Baroque taste and finally remodeled in a neo-medieval style between 1840 and 1865. The actual façade came executed between 1840 and 1845 on the basis of the romantic matrix taste for the white-red bicromia (Caldana's red marble) and for the Gothic shapes. Turning to the west, it has the lower part, with three portals, crowned by a loggia of practicable arches and percolated by a marcapian frame. The central high part, crowned by a gable, is occupied by a large rosette. It preserves the Gothic sculptures of the first construction phase, including most of the rosary sculptures and the symbols of the four evangelists on the marcapian frame (among which, however, the symbol of the angel was replaced by a bearded figure of the same era but which originally had to be placed in a niche.The original façade was probably completed between 1338 and 1340, at the same time as the portal on the southern side.In the sixteenth century restorations, two small lanterns should be inserted at the top of the sides and two small obelisks at the ends of the tympanum.The southern right side, which looks onto Piazza Dante, was probably always designed by Sozzo Rustichini, who made the two Gothic windows at twigs. The sculptural decoration of the side portal and the windows and the statue of San Lorenzo among them was the work of Augustine's shop by Giovanni and his son, Giovanni d'Agostino, between 13 20 and 1340. The upper part of the portal, with the Bas-relief of the Virgin in the lunette and the two statues that flank it, is due to an intervention by the sculptor Leopoldo Maccari of 1897. All the right flank of the building, which was restored, was partially invented, but complemented by the medieval pre-existence, on the design of Florentine Giuseppe Castellucci or Siena, Giuseppe Partini. The Arnaldo Mazzanti upper wall was made by a large frescoed sundial made in 1983. On the right corner of the façade there is the Roman Column, topped by a composite corinthian capital, used in medieval times for the display of the banners The bell tower It was raised on the northern left flank only in 1402, while the internal staircase was built in 1611. In 1911 it was reworked, transforming the arch windows into double and triple and raised. There are walled sculptural fragments of the original gothic church decoration.