Tourist Attraction in Grosseto: Chiesa di San Francesco
The church of San Francesco, located in the homonymous square, is one of the major churches in Grosseto. Originally dedicated to Saint Fortunato, during the 13th century, it was sold together with the cloister adjacent to the Benedictines to the Franciscans. Just in these years seems to have entered the Order of the Friars Minor on the skirting Andrea Bento, which some scholars bring back to the famous Andrea da Grosseto considered the first Italian writer. In subsequent periods the complex has undergone several restorations: the bell tower rising on the right rear of the church was destroyed by a lightning strike and raised in 1926 by the architect Lorenzo Porciatti. The church has a simple façade with a portal featuring a frescoed lunette, which is in turn overlooked and protected by a wooden tabernacle above which is a rose window. The interior, with a single nave, houses various works of art, among which is the famous Crucifix on the table attributed to the hand of Duccio di Boninsegna (circa 1285). Recent in-depth studies on the author of this important work oscillate in attributing the paternity between the Sienese Maestro di Badia in Isola, the Duccio di Buoninsegna of the first period, more stylistically oriented towards Cimabue, and Sienese Guido di Graziano. Whatever the true author of the Crucifix, the work is of immense artistic significance as the author comes out of the rank of the conveniences of the excellent Tuscan artists of Duccio's era. The ruggedness of the body of Christ embodied in the Crucifix and the proportions of the image make this work one of the most important in Tuscany and all over Italy. Various frescoes and decorations are also preserved in the church. The right chapel, dedicated to St. Anthony, was added during the 17th century and decorated with valuable frescoes by the painters Antonio and Francesco Nasini. In recent times in this church were married Adriano Celentano and Claudia Mori; he celebrated Mass at dawn (to escape the photographers) Fr. Father Ugolino Vagnuzzi, a friend of the couple, and for many years a spiritual adviser to nationally renowned artists. The cloister of the convent extends to the side of the left flank of the church and is characterized by a portico supported by octagonal columns; the cloister gives access to the sacristy, the church and the convent's premises. At the center of the cloister stands the sixteenth-century Pozzo della Bufala, lined with two travertine columns on which stands a valuable crowning: beneath it is the cistern for the collection of rainwater. On the square opposite the right side of the church and the bell tower there is another well that collected rainwater in the tank below to distribute it to the various houses in the area.