Tourist Attraction in Grosseto: Basilica del Sacro Cuore di Gesù
The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a religious building located in Grosseto. Its location is in the northeastern semi-central area of the city, along the road of Peace. In June 1958, Pope Pius XII elevated him to the dignity of a minor basilica. The church was built in the fifties of the last century, more precisely between 1954 and 1958, by the Egyptian company on the design of the engineer Ernesto Ganelli. The consecration took place on April 26, 1958, on the fifteenth anniversary of the airborne bombing of the city of Grosseto, in the sadest Monday of the Angel of its history. The religious building, immediately erected at the basilica, was built to perpetual memory of the fallen in that bloody war event, to which a crypt was dedicated. The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus presents itself as an imposing religious building in a modern-functional style. The facade, preceded by a step, is entirely covered with travertine and is characterized by the three-order pronaos, which are enclosed at the top of a number of round arches, overlaid by four bronze statues (one for each pillar), made by sculptor Ptolemy Powers. At the top of the facade, three pentaffs open all over one another, arranged one over the other. The exterior walls of the side and back sides are brick-covered, while the travertine covers the pillars and the top crowning. On the right side stands the octagonal bell tower (75 meters high), mostly covered with bricks that leave space at the top, to a travertine crown in which eight single-ply openings open one by one around the cell bell. The apex of the bell tower, pyramidal, is covered in copper and is well visible even at a distance from the outside of the city (the highest point of the city). Another element that characterizes the religious building is the polygonal dome (55 meters high), also coated in copper, featuring an exterior balconies and a beautiful lantern overlaid by a golden statue of Jesus with open arms symbolizing the Sacred Heart. The interior has a very large nave with three semicircular apses and a crypt dedicated to the fallen during the bombing of April 26, 1943. The interior characterizing element is the marble with which the floor was made, altars and water reservoirs.