Tourist Attraction in Marciana Marina: Torre degli Appiani
The Torre degli Appiani is a coastal tower located in Marciana Marina, on Elba Island. Its location is at the marina harbor of Elbana. The Tower, already depicted in a cartography (1420) by Cristoforo Buondelmonti as "Torre di Marciana", currently presents forms attributable, according to stylistic and structural types, to the second half of the sixteenth century. Over the centuries, the architectural structure continued to play what was its original sighting and defense functions along the northern coast of the island. With the definitive political fall of the Principality of Piombino in 1815, the defensive structure was gradually abolished by military functions and sold to private persons, later becoming the residence of writer Raffaello Brignetti. Today the Tower, after a long struggle for claims by the citizens of Marciana Marina, has returned to the property of the demolition. The Torre degli Appiani, located at the western end of the port near the point of grafting of the quay outside the firm ground, is a circular plant resting on a truncated cone shaped shoe stand, divided by the top of the tower by a continuous burring, which interrupts at the point of grafting of the outer ramp of stairs. The latter leads to the mezzanine floor, where the entrance to the defensive structure is protected from the top by a three-tiered cadenza with blinded arches resting on protruding shelves, which protrudes from the top of the tower where there is a terrace originally used for sighting functions. At some points in the wall structures open loopholes, used in the past for active defense functions.