The Sonnino Castle stands on a promontory overlooking the sea just a few kilometers from the town of Livorno, near the hamlet of Quercianella, in Romito. The castle was built at the end of the nineteenth century, when Baron Sidney Sonnino decided to install his residence. The designated area was occupied by a sixteenth-century fortress, built by the Medici on the remains of a former fortification of remote origin and part of a complex system for the defense of the coast (see the entries Coastal towers of the province of Livorno and the Coast towers of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany). The work consisted in an extension and an elevation of the existing structure, formerly known as the San Salvatore tower, consisting of a square tower (the original nucleus) preceded by a spatula for positioning artillery. The manor was completed by the addition of an outer chapel (1895), still existing and immersed in the lush surrounding park. Sonnino, a prominent figure in the Italian political landscape, was heavily tied to his Livornese mansion: a burly and stern man, fascinated by the rough loneliness and beauty of that stretch of coastline that he could dominate, in large sections, from the top of the castle. He even decided to be buried and therefore, at his death (1922), his body was buried in a cliff grotto, near the fortilite. Currently, the castle is a private residence and therefore not accessible to the public, except on special occasions, such as during the "FAI Days" held in 2007, when the property opened up to the Livornese and numerous tourists. In addition, the manor is equipped with a private marina where a small neomedioevale tower is built, able to accommodate up to 10 small boats and free of any service; the depths are very low. The Sonnino Castle is a neo-medieval style building: the whole structure is covered by a dense theory of small merlature, which, from afar, make an even more impressive appearance. The interior is simple and austere: the only element of relief is a wooden door finely carved in neo-gothic style. Still recognizable is the original structure of the Fortilizio, and in particular that of the Medicean sphere, in which today is a large reception hall. The outer chapel also recalls the medieval style, with a facade open by a small ogival bifore; the small inner hall is rectangular, closed by an apse and covered by a theory of wooden trusses.