The basilica of San Frediano, a Roman Catholic place of worship of Lucca. From the 6th century there was a religious building dedicated to the three saints Leviticus, Stefano and Lorenzo. The construction of this first church dates back to the same San Frediano, the Irish presbyter who was elected bishop of Lucca between 560 and 588. The excavations under the present basilica confirmed the presence of the ancient building. Around the church gathered diocesan priests who formed a community of canons. In 1104 Pope Paschal II confirmed the canons entrusting them to the clergy of St. John Lateran. In 1112, by the Prior Roton, the restoration of the building was consecrated in 1147 by Pope Eugene III. The project included a three-nave church with an apse, without transepts and even a crypt, according to the new trends associated with Gregorian reform, with its east facing facade, unlike the Augustinian rule that wanted it to the west. In the 12th century the church was lower than what we see today; the elevation of the central nave and the construction of the wooden truss ceiling dated to the 13th century and was completed with the mosaic ornamentation of the top of the facade. The three portals are delimited by pillars, surmounted by a blindfold and blind arches. At the central level we find a loggia with columns surmounted by capitals of various kinds that rachid two monofore. Above we find the mosaic (13th-14th centuries). with the Ascension of Christ between angels in the presence of the Apostles, originally on the sides of the Madonna whose image was destroyed by the opening of the central monofora. The top shows the sign of a cultured artist and updated on recent Byzantine experiences, to be placed in Roman surroundings, while the lower part appears to be due to a local artist of the Berlinghieri painters' shop. In addition to the three above mentioned central monoforees, there are four oculars in a lateral position. The bell tower, near the apse, was built at various times: the dark stone base dates back to the 12th century, while the tallest part of light stone was rebuilt in the 13th century, with its presence on each side of monofore, bifore , two registers of trifore and two of quadrifore. Two-tiered windows are surmounted by bands of blind arches. In the bell tower there are 6 bells, of which one out of the concert, fused by various foundries for several centuries. The bells were merged with Fonderia Lorenzo Lera di Lammari in 1804. The "small" bell of note The third was cast by the Francesco Azzi lucchese foundry in 1679, the "mezzanella" bell For a long time these bells were played in the ways traditional in the area by the bell-tower group of the historic center of Lucca. Subsequently, in the second half of the 20th century, they were electrified to fallen battles. On the right side of the central nave is a high-pitched fresco that depicts the Martyrdom of Saints Lorenzo, Vincenzo and Stefano. On two columns there are two frescoes depicting Sant'Elena and Santo Stefano. On the counter side, on the sides of the main portal, there are Visitation and the Madonna with Child and Saints of Ansano Ciampanti and Amico Aspertini, respectively (16th century). On the head of the left aisle canvas with Miracolo di San Cassiano by Aurelio Lomi. To his left, a monolith that, according to tradition, was conveyed by San Frediano for the altar of the ancient early Christian church. The second chapel dates back to the 14th century and was built in the cemetery area where the saint was buried in 1278. It was completely renovated in the 17th century. Paolo Guidotti painted a canvas representing Santa Zita and the Poor (1611-1612) and in the second half of the century Francesco del Tintore completed the decorations with five canvases representing the Miracle of Santa Zita.