Patriarchal Cathedral, the first dedicated to St. Mark, wanted by Giustiniano Partecipazio, was built next to the Ducal Palace in 820 to accommodate the relics of San Marco trafugate, according to tradition, to Alexandria of Egypt by two Venetian merchants: Good from Malamocco and Rustico da Torcello. This church replaced the previous palatine chapel dedicated to the Byzantine saint Theodore, built at the current piazzetta dei Leoncini, north of the basilica of San Marco. The first Campanile of San Marco dates back to the 9th century. In particular, the architectural form as a whole is very close to that of the ancient Basilica of the Apostles of Constantinople. As a state church, the basilica was ruled by the doge and was not dependent on the patriarch who had his chair at the church of St. Peter. The Doge himself nominated a ducal clergy led by the Primitive. Only since 1807 San Marco officially became a cathedral. From the outside, divided into three different lower floor registers, terrace, domes predominate in width, as in a city like Venice, which is supported on sandy soil, it tended to make the buildings in width, from the most balanced weight. The marble facade dates back to the 13th century. Mosaics, bas-reliefs and a large amount of heterogeneous bare material were included. The bronze doors date from different times: to the south the Gate of San Clemente is Byzantine and dates back to the 11th century; the central one, uncertain production, is of the twelfth century. Among the mosaics of the façade, the only remains of the original thirteenth century is the one above the first portal on the left, the portal of Sant'Alipio, representing the entrance of the body of San Marco in the basilica. From topless infinite arches, decorated in blooming Gothic style, the statues of cardinal and theological virtues, four saint warriors, and St. Mark watch over the city. Among the works of art from Constantinople, the most celebrated are the famous golden and silver bronze horses of uncertain origins, which were raided by the Venetians during the IV Crusade of the Hippodrome of Constantinople, the capital of the Roman Empire East and above the central portal of the basilica. At the corner of the square is the stone of the banquet, porphyry column trunk from Syria, from which the commander of the Republic read laws and calls for citizenship. The stone was broken from the ruins of the bell tower in 1902. In the dome of Genesis or Creation there are twenty-six scenes that begin with the creation of heaven and earth. Unusual is the scene of the seventh day blessing "with God in the throne surrounded by the six angels of the first six days, followed by the creation of Eve by the rib of Adam, the temptation of the snake, the expulsion from the Earth's Paradise, and other characteristic episodes of the Book.The mosaics of the first three chapels were made between 1220 and 1240. The basilica is a Greek cross with five domes distributed in the center and along the axes of the cross and connected by arcons.The aisles, three by the arm, are divided by colonnades that flow to the massive pillars that support the domes.The group of columnar columns that hold the ciborium above the main altar reproduce early Christian models, with quotations even recalculated, though perhaps recaptured or even misunderstood.The lateral aisles had formerly the tunnels with wooden floors covering them, according to the typically Oriental models, which were reduced to very narrow passages b alaustrati to allow you to admire the mosaics of the times even from the bottom. The numerous galleries provided inspiration for the development of the Venetian police style to the composers of St. Mark, who had the title of chaplain master.