Torre Bissara, also known as Piazza Torre, is a civic tower overlooking Piazza dei Signori in Vicenza, alongside the famous Palladian Basilica. With its 82 meters is one of the tallest buildings in the city. The Bissara tower, next to the Palladian Basilica in Piazza dei Signori in Vicenza. The first news dates back to 1174 when the tower was built by the Bissari family next to their palace. Between 1211 and 1229 the town of Vicenza bought both the palace (with the intention of making it the seat of the podestà) and the tower. Escapeed to the terrible earthquake of January 25, 1348, it was elevated towards the middle of the fifteenth century, reaching its present height. Inside were relics of saints and the five bells. There were numerous interventions that, over the centuries, continued to maintain the stability and beauty of the tower. At the base was a triumphal arch with the monument to the fallen in war, surmounted by a coat of arms and sculptural group of the crowned Madonna, throne with the child and two saints. A bit higher is the marble bas-relief of the San Marco Lion. At the sides there are commemorative gravestones and in a niche there is an acephalus of Pallade Athena, perhaps of Roman times. On 18 March 1945 the tower (along with the Palladian Basilica) was struck by an Anglo-American bombing. The top of the tower burned and the dome collapsed to the ground; the tower came to the Vicentines the next day, cut off. The bells also had detached themselves, destroying the pavement of the square. Along with the Basilica in the following years the tower was rebuilt, not without controversy related to the form, in part other than the original one. Not all the bells were also repositioned as well as the sphere pointing to the moon phases that was under the watch was not replaced. In 2002, the project was approved for a radical restoration of the tower. The intervention moved in two directions: one part regarding static consolidation (problem always present in Vicenza due to the rich presence of water in the subsoil), another concerning the restoration of surfaces, friezes and decorations. The dial has been painted with cobalt blue (as it is originally thought), the sphere of lunar phases (thanks to the gift of a jewelery) and repositioning the bells (donated by the Rotary Club Vicenza Berici). The tower's characteristic is, in addition to the normal sound of the hours and half-hours, also the ninth hour. This is a particular melody composed by Master Valtinoni (restored only in 2005) that sounds to sound seven minutes before midday and seven minutes before the eighteen (originally at 18 o'clock at 24 o'clock). The largest bell in Mi's tone was made in 1663 by the founder Cristoforo Murari.