The cathedral of San Vigilio. It is the main town church and was built on the area where there was originally an ancient temple dedicated to St. Vigilio, from which it takes its name and is the patron saint of the city. At the death of Saint Vigilio, the construction of a basilica on its grave was necessary, recent excavations revealed the presence of an old building with a single nave of 14 to 45 m. It should be remembered, however, that a church, built according to the Padan models, with a single classroom and a semicircular apse facing east, most probably existed before the death of the saint. This ancient basilica was built outside the walls because it served as a cemetery church, in fact here are buried Saint Vigil and the three martyrs Sisinnio, Martyrio and Alessandro. Prince Bishop Uldarico II (1022-1055) began building the bishop's palace and restoring the cathedral. The latter had three naves, with pillars set on base blocks from Roman remains and it is Roman and Greek seeds, and also began building a crypt. Altemanno (1124-1149) continued the construction of the crypt. Bishop Federico Vanga (1207-1218) decided to completely reconstruct the duomo from the foundations, entrusting the project to comacine masters guided by Adamo d'Arogno as evidenced by a walled stone wall in the apse stand, which recites in Latin as in the year 1212, in the presence of the Bishop Federico Vanga, the master of the diocese of Como Adam of Arogno, began and built this church then concluded by his sons and grandchildren. The construction began in 1212, but at the death of the Vanga in the Land of the Earth the work went into crisis. However, the project of Federico Vanga was essentially respected by maintaining the main characters established in the project, that is. Three naves separated from beam columns. Translucent protruding with tiburio. Nave leading end east of the cruise with a very deep presbytery and a semicircular apse. Two bell-facades on the facade, only one was completed. This can be seen from the façade, which is incomplete where the second bell tower was to be erected, and from the inside with a staircase that stops at the walls; This gives the facade an asymmetrical appearance. Side door to the north with protiro. Capitals shaped like buds. Below the rose window the protire of the Bishop's Gate extends, while to the left a niche houses the Madonna of the Annegates, a copy of the original thirteenth-century wandering inside the church, so called for the ancient custom to stand at his feet the corpses recovered from the waters of the rivers. In the bezel of the portal, the Christ-pantocrator with symbols of the evangelists, thirteenth, still shows traces of the original polychrome decoration. The portal was restored at the time of Prince Bishop Bernardo Clesio, who added his own coat of arms, the seven rods bound in a beam. Always under Bernardo Clesio, Lucio da Como lifted the dome. In 1511 the Emperor Maximilian of Habsburg was crowned at the Duomo, who moved to Innsbruck his official residence in Tyrol. The church from 1545 to 1563 hosted the Council of Trent. In 1682, the Chapel of the Crucifix was built by Giuseppe Alberti in 1682, a Baroque structure inserted in almost Romanesque forms, while in 1739 the canopy of the Berninian greatest inspiration altar was made, demolishing the previous Romanesque altar. On the north wall of the cathedral, near the Sacristy, San Giuliano's legend is frescoed, where a pulpit stands out, left blank, mid-air to emphasize its presence. The fresco is the work of Monte di Bologna. Behind the Duomo there is a statue of S. Vigilio of Eraldo Fozzer originally planned for the Palazzo delle Poste and at the last instant it was replaced by that of St. Christopher.