Tourist Attraction in Bolzano: Museo d'arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Bolzano
Founded in 1985 by a private association with the support of the Autonomous Province of Bolzano, the then Museum of Modern Art started in 1987 at the Via Sernesi headquarters under the direction of Pier Luigi Siena and chaired by Karl Nicolussi- Leck. Initially the institution has a regional breath: the purpose is the promotion and documentation of the visual arts in the area between Ala and Kufstein (historical Tirol) for the period from 1900 onwards. With the beginning of the 1990s, the activity opened up to the comparison between the Italian and German artistic expressions. The Museion name, adopted in 1991, aims to reflect the interdisciplinary vocation of contemporary art. In 1991, the museum was named Museion, making explicit the intention of expanding collec- tive and exhibit activity to interdisciplinary. In 2000, with the chairmanship of Alois Lageder, Museion becomes a Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art. Under the direction of Andreas Hapkemeyer, the theme "Language in Art" emerges as a significant field of specialization. An area that is very tied to the territory, being a border region with three official languages, also pursued by Corinne Diserens, until November 2008. He is currently head of Museion Letizia Ragaglia, confirmed in 2014 for another three years. Museion's new headquarters were designed by the KSV Krüger Schuberth Vandreike Berlin Architecture Studio. The project won the competition, which was attended by another 285 architecture studios from 14 different countries. The cubic shape of the building indicates an opening to the outside. There is a kind of symbolic dialogue, the glass-faced facades, connecting the old town with the newest part of the city and the meadows on the Talvera River. In the evening, the facades act as surfaces for the projection of works of art. This opening of the spaces is also dragged inside the museum: exhibition space, classroom, conference room, café-Museion, book-shop and library are not rigidly divided but in close interrelation. This fact not only serves as an exhibition space but also as a strong laboratory center is noted in the building next to the main office, the atelier house. On the ground floor, the Museion has a space called "Passage", designed by South Tyrolean designer Martino Gamper. Freely accessible to the public, is used to host festivals and events. A particular element of the building are the two bridges that bend over the Talvera. Bicycle path and pedestrian zone are divided into two bridges. Since the early nineties, the Museion has a collection of about 4,500 works of art. Some of these works have been acquired with funds made available by the Autonomous Province of Bolzano. About 100 works come from a donation from the collector Enea Righi. About 2000 works have been lent to the museum for twenty years from the New Script Archives (ANS) of the entrepreneur Paolo Della Grazia. The church of the Holy Sepulcher (in German, Heiliggrabkirche or Grabeskirche), also called "Calvario al Virgolo" (Kalvarienberg), Bolzano is a late baroque church overlooking the town by the rocky valley of Virgolo. The facade of the church with the bell tower The church is visible from most of Bolzano because of its location on the rocky valley of Virgolo. The church was designed by architects Pietro and Andrea Delai between 1683 and 1684. The frescoes dating back to 1685 are the work of Gabriel Kessler and Johann Hueber, while the stucco of the vaults are made by Stefan Conseglio and date just before 'year 1700. Nearby is the Church of San Vigilio al Virgolo.