Tourist Attraction in Gorizia: Piazza del Transalpina
Piazza del Transalpina is a square divided between the municipalities of Gorizia (Italy) and Nova Gorica (Slovenia) . In the square is Nova Gorica station on the Transalpina railway. Transalpina Square takes its name from the railway line Jesenice-Trieste (improperly called in Transalpina railway in Italy), which is part of the station situated in Slovenian territory. This stretch was inaugurated by Archduke Francesco Ferdinando in 1906 and connects Trieste to Jesenice and then to Central Europe. In modern times the whole square is restructured to form a single public space where pedestrian free movement is permitted. Instead of the central part of the Gorizia Wall dividing the square there is a circular mosaic and the state border - removed the physical barrier - is now indicated by a stone tile line. Following the redesign of the square was proposed by Slovenia to rename the area on the square of the united Europe, but this proposal was not followed. Because of its symbolism, the area is often used for the organization of international events and events. The station with the tramway terminals of Gorizia Between 1909 and 1935 the area opposite the railway station building hosted the northern terminus of the tramway network of Gorizia. Following the Treaty of Paris the square was divided between Italy and the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, since 1991 it has been divided between Italy and Slovenia.