Tourist Attraction in Udine: Chiesa di San Francesco
The church of San Francesco is one of the oldest religious buildings in Udine, now devoted and used for temporary exhibitions. With the adjacent convent, now occupied by the Tribunal, the church was the headquarters of the minor brothers in cities and throughout Friuli. The penetration of Franciscanism in the lands of the Aquileia patriarchy occurred with some delay compared with other parts of northern Italy, even though patriarchs, with generous donations, showed appreciation for the presence of smaller brothers and preachers. It is documented in 1259 the presence of the first Franciscan convent in the city and dates back to the first Sunday of July 1266 the consecration of the church of St. Francis, celebrated by the bishop of Concordia and patriarchal vicarious Alberto da Colle. At the beginning of the 14th century in the convent, Fr. Odorico da Pordenone was formed, and he died in the smell of holiness on January 14, 1331, after having made his trip to China and dictated his famous Relationship. The body of the Friar was placed in an ark, made by Master Filippo De Sanctis, located in the chapel of St. Ludwig of Toulouse. Patriarch Pagano of the Tower proceeded to "elevate the relics" of Blessed Odorico in May 1332. The church became a place of pilgrimage from every place of the patriarchal state. In 1347 Guido de Guisis, bishop of Concordia, and a close associate of Patriarch Bertrando of San Genesio, were buried there. In 1769 the Venetian Senate suppressed the so-called "convent", ie those inhabited by less than ten religious. At Udine he touched the Carmelites and the Carmine church. The city government acquired the convent with the intent to take it to hospital, but soon realized that the building was too small for that function. Consequently, negotiations with the minor conventual Friars of St. Francis began to propose a change: the Franciscan friars would be transferred to the Carmine, while the old convent of St. Francis would become a hospital. The barracks were ratified by Senate decree on December 29, 1770. Franciscan brothers brought with them the relics of the old church, in particular the arc of the Blessed Odorico da Pordenone. This, private of the front, was turned into an altar, while the slab with the depiction of Odorico lying was detached and placed above the altar as if it were a shovel. The church is a simple Romanesque building, as foreseen by the strict Franciscan rules; A hut-facade, a single nave with wooden trusses, three apt chapels, with the largest central one containing the main altar. It was built during the 13th century and was consecrated in 1266 and later modified during the 18th century. The interior is on a Latin cross, with a nave and was completely restored during the 18th century, but at the end of the Second World War it was attempted to bring it back to its original structure. Recondita, despite the superficial patina of Tuscanism, to an active painter in Venice in the second quarter of the fourteenth century. Along the interior walls there are frescoes from the 14th and 15th centuries of Tuscan and Emilian umbrian artists.