Tourist Attraction in Udine: Pieve di Santa Maria di Castello
The church of Santa Maria di Castello is the oldest in the city of Udine, built on a site that probably housed a place of worship in the past: some fragments found, including a Christ the Logos, presuppose the construction of the Longobard era, also If the present construction reveals a Romanesque plant dating to the 12th century. Inside, the most important work of art is the frescoes of the right apse of the thirteenth century, depicting a Deposition from the cross in the apsidal cathedral, and the series of twelve apostles in the semicircle, working by workers from Bavaria. The façade was rebuilt by Gaspare Negro at the beginning of the sixteenth century, while the bell tower, begun by the same Negro, was completed by Giovanni da Udine in 1539. The bell tower is surmounted by a rotating angel with the index pointing to direction Of the winds and its 43 meters high, from the top of the castle hill dominates the vast Friulian plain. At the church of Santa Maria lies the House of the Brotherhood, a medieval building restored in the 1930s. Next to it stands the Grimani arch built in 1522 in honor of the doge of the same name, through the arch you reach the square of the castle.