The royal castle of Racconigi, in the province of Cuneo but not far from Turin. Over the course of its almost millenary history, it has seen numerous renovations and became the property of the Savoy since the second half of the 14th century. Subsequently it was the official residence of the branch of the Savoia-Carignano, and later it was elected the seat of the "Royal Villages" of the royal family of the kings of Sardinia (and then of Italy) in the summer and autumn months. Since becoming a highly regarded cultural and museum center, the castle is part of the Sabaude Residences of Piedmont, the Castelli Aperti system of Basso Piedmont, and since 1997 it is part of the Sabaude residences website included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The first news of a fortification in Racconigi dates back to the 11th century, when the territory was part of the Turin brand and where Bernardino di Susa built or rebuilt an old fortress on the remains of a former monastery. In 1091, at the death of the Marchesa Adelaide di Susa, the territories were occupied by the nephew Bonifacio del Vasto and the feud of Racconigi became part of the possessions of the Marquis of Saluzzo. Subsequently, the nupote Manfredo II of Saluzzo expanded the existing structure by raising a first squared castle with internal courtyard, destined for strategic defense for the marquisate's territories. In 1372 Marquis Federico II of Saluzzo ceded the castle to Falletti counts but after a few years he returned to the property of the Marquis of Saluzzo. Finally, in the second half of the 14th century, an illegitimate son of Ludovico, the last Prince of Savoy-Achaea, obtained the feudal fort and the castle of Racconigi, beginning the dynasty of Savoia-Racconigi extinct in 1605. In 1620, Duke Carlo Emanuele Savoia gave his son Tommaso Francesco of Savoy, the founder of the Savoy-Carignano dynasty. At that time the structure looked like a classic medieval castle: a massive brick square brick fortress, with four large corner towers, a moat, a drawbridge and a high side doorman. "Was originally more suitable for shrinking the hostile weapon than a pleasant residence because it had sturdy towers on the corners, ditches and swamps." The structure of the structure remained almost unchanged until the mid-17th century century, he was subjected to a first remake at the will of Thomas son, Emanuele Filiberto, who commissioned in 1676 Guarino Guarini the first complete transformation of the fortress in "Villa di delizie". From 1834, the Ponente Gallery was the object of the work of the painter Marco Antonio Trefogli, who adorned it with refined grotesque figures depicting fruit and birds. Together with Luigi Cinnati, Trefogli also made ornaments and arabesques for the Reception Room and the Dining Room. For the bath of Carlo Alberto, he painted in ornamental floral motifs, in addition to grotesque, amphora, shells, swans, and griffins, while in the frieze over the cornice were inserted figures of dragons alternating with galli. The park arrangement, however, was entrusted to the German landscape designer Xavier Kurten, who transformed Le Nôtre's previous work into a romantic setting. The project and the construction of Margarìa, the Neo-Gothic farmhouse located at the bottom of the park, is again the result of the collaboration of Ernesto Melano and Pelagio Palagi. Just in the avenues of this park on August 19, 1840, the first meeting organized by their respective families was held between Prince Vittorio Emanuele, the future first king of Italy and his first wife, and cousin Maria Adelaide of Asburgo-Lorena. The two were convicted of marriage two years later (1842) at the Stupinigi hunting lodge and, among other children, the inherited prince Umberto I.