Tourist Attraction in Pollenzo: Castello di Pollenzo
The Pollenzo Castle is located in Pollenzo, a fraction of Bra. It is one of the Savoie residences recognized by UNESCO as a heritage of humanity in 1997, in the system of castles, palaces and public buildings built on the initiative of the dukes, principals and kings of the House of Savoy in its various branches, the branch Savoia-Carignano, from which comes the king of Sardinia Carlo Alberto. In the bimillary history of Pollenzo have been constructed and destroyed several times fortifications, castles and churches. The ancient Pollenzo (the Bra Museum - included in the Open Castles' Circuit - exhibits finds from Roman and Early Middle Ages from the archaeological excavations of the site), after fierce controversies - between the XII and XIII centuries - among the major municipalities of Basso Piedmont, which led to its complete destruction, became the seat of the patrician Viscontium Antonio Porro, which promotes the construction of a castle by the engineer Andrea da Modena in 1386; after a few decades, the fort becomes a prestigious feudal residence of the Marquis of Romagnano. These, in the second half of the sixteenth century, will start a profound renewal of the castle on Mannerist models, which should be put in place with the coeve architectures of the Saviglianese and Saluzzese, as well as Alba and Casale Monferrato: few sculptural finds and more, have allowed to rebuild a superb historical-artistic phase destined to be completely erased between the years 1832 and 1847. The case of Pollenzo in those years will be symptomatic of the particular romantic vision of the client - King Carlo Alberto - also by the means of his artists addressed to a Gothic revival now far removed from Horace Walpole's models: the interventions of the Carlo-Albertine era involved the complete destruction of most of the medieval and protodermic hamlet, with most of the 14th-century rural and defensive settlements of the church of San Vittore , the infrastructure of the site (internal and external viability, the four "ports" between Pollenzo, the island and the right bank of the Tanaro), but also to the end of the castle, both outside - of which remains intact or almost the only donjon - of the interior; all this in the name of the celebration of a middle-aged recreate, but with frequent and widespread elements of contradiction in the most gorgeous classical form, idealized by architect Pelagio Palagi. Along with the Palagi collaborated, for the buildings, the architect Ernesto Melano and, for the new park, the architect Xavier Kurten. The positive side of the Savoy intervention at Pollenzo is that the new achievements see committed artists pursuing a designed form for the new aggregate as well as every minute artifact: that is what has been possible here, investigating the works of Pelagio Palagi ( of which the "real" neo-gothic project, unrealized, for the castle facades) by Ernesto Melano, Carlo Bellosio, Moncalvo and Giuseppe II Gaggini was also traced back to the palagian archive of Archiginage of Bologna. With these artists, to whom the sovereign demanded the replenishment of the entire Pollenzo, he was called to work on a pile of other artists and artisans of great professionalism (including Pietro Cremona) who collaborated to create the new image of the village, with its square with fountain, its church, the farm Albertina, the castle.