Tourist Attraction in Imperia: Concattedrale di San Maurizio e Compagni Martiri
The Cathedral of St. Maurice and the Martyrs is the main place of Catholic worship in Imperia, in Liguria; From September 22, 1947, the Basilica, which houses the homonymous parish and the cathedral of the diocese of Albenga-Imperia. The building was built in neoclassical style by Gaetano Cantoni's design from 1781 and completed in 1838. It was built according to real and majestic canons, witnessing the riches of the Maritime Republic of Genoa and Porto Maurizio. It is the largest church in all of Liguria. The outer dimensions are in fact about 70 meters (42 meters) (82 meters long, including the front staircase), for a total area of approximately 3000 m². Bells are about 36 m high and the top of the dome's main lantern of about 48 meters. The internal dimensions are 69 for 35 meters; The main dome is 33 meters high, the second 23 meters. The new San Maurizio had to be in the most up-to-date neoclassical style. To the cantonal architect, the commissariat affirmed as a model the Jesuit Church of St. Ignatius of Rome of the seventeenth century, but is also clearly visible to the sixteenth Assunta of Carignano, in Genoa. The architectural restoration was accompanied by urban planning, even with very long times: disused bastions were demolished since 1781 and there was an acceleration in the Napoleonic period when in 1808 the present Piazza del Duomo of Piazza Napoleone and Questi were Necessary projects for the architect Ferdinando Bonsignore of the Academy of Turin. The church rises by occupying part of what was the Armament Squad, an open space resulting from the demolition of the Bastion by the Nunziata of the wall of the seventeenth century, slightly more exterior than the medieval one. The new duomo had to replace the oldest (mentioned earlier in the documents of 1470) and became narrow and pernicious, standing on the top of the fortified village of Parasio. The place to be built seems to have been indicated by St. Leonard himself, during a famous sermon for fellow citizens of 1743. To the point where this situation was found, in 1967 a bronze statue was built. Internally, the cathedral cathedral has a double crossed plan with three aisles and a double transept; The nearest cruise to the entrance is covered by an octagonal sailboat, while the closest one to the presbytery is a large dome with a coffered ceiling on which a circular lantern is still raised. There are also six smaller domes (no sheet lining, to avoid overlapping the structure) to cover the side aisles, which accommodate a total of ten smaller altars. The times of the central nave and transepts, however, are barrels. Its interior, finished with stuccoes in imitation of white marble and columns (almost one hundred) in Corinthian style, recalls the basilicas of ancient Rome. The marble floor has large geometric designs, especially in the area under the main dome.