Tourist Attraction in Sanremo: Santuario della Madonna della Costa
The sanctuary of Madonna della Costa - commonly called Madonna della Costa - is a Marian sanctuary located in Sanremo, on the Riviera dei Fiori. The main festivities are celebrated on August 15 (the feast of the Assumption). Located on a hilltop, about 100 meters above sea level, dominating the historic Sanremo district of Pigna, its foundations appear to date back to the 14th and 15th centuries in the locality of Castrum Sancti Romuli. According to some historians, the birth of the sanctuary could be dated back to 1361 when the castle, owned by the Doria family, was sold to the Republic of Genoa. It was on that occasion that the famous "chain feast" was born where the Sanremes went to the shrine by dragging chains to celebrate the liberation from the Doria. The first document mentioning the religious building dates back to 1474, where the local family Fabiani describes in this way the presence of a chapel already dedicated to the Madonna della Costa, assuming a strong and acclaimed devotion to the Virgin Mary. Among the objects revered by the Sanremesi there is the picture depicting the Madonna, where some lead him as a direct work of Saint Luke, but more in-depth studies attribute it to the hand of the painter Barnaba da Modena (14th century), while others consider it Work by the painter Nicolò da Voltri. The present structure of the sanctuary was made in 1630 as a replacement for the former church. With a Latin cross-shaped plant, it has a Baroque-style façade - where the Assunta and the marble depictions of the Siro and Romulus saints are depicted, and the lateral turrets with cupolas on the sides. The dome was built between 1770 and 1775. A new painting of the façade and the copper coat of the dome and the two cupolas were carried out between 1979 and 1981. Inside there are a large number of wooden statues - some Attributed to the sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano of Santa Margherita Ligure - depicting the saints Anna and Gioacchino and Saint Joseph at the foot of the Madonna della Costa. Of the same author is the wooden crucifix, placed in 1723, above the altar of the same name. In the presbytery, however, there are the wooden depictions of St. Elizabeth, St. Zechariah, St. John the Baptist, and St. John the Evangelist. The decoration of the apse and the vault, with stucco and frescoes, was executed in 1727 by Giacomo Antonio Boni. Among the pictorial works there is the blade of the painter Bartolomeo Guidobono depicting the Visit of Mary to Elizabeth in the transept of the right side chapel; To the left of the entrance the painted Saint Hyacinth Vision of Domenico Fiasella, given in 1846 by the noble Genoese Carrega family; To the right of the entrance the Decollation of the Baptist by Giulio Cesare Procaccini and above the altar the Madonna with the Child attributed to the painter Nicolò da Voltri.