Villa Matutia or Roman Villa of the Foce is a Roman villa in the territory of Sanremo, whose excavations, begun in 1936 by the archaeologist Nino Lamboglia, have brought to light the complex of spas. It is located behind the commune of Foce, at Matuzia course, at the height of the church of San Rocco. The first investigations along the route of the ancient Via Julia Augusta were begun in 1925 by the inspector of the area Pietro Barocelli, following the planned enlargement of the communal cemetery. The ruins, in some cases emerging from the ground and extended even below the sea level, had already been reported by the engineer and architect Pietro Agosti in a letter dated 30 October 1925 to which two maps and three photographs were also attached. The area was so extensive that even under the sea level there were some remains of Roman masonry. The entire area was constrained on February 8, 1926, but the first excavations were only begun in 1936 by the archaeologist Nino Lamboglia, with funds from the municipal administration, highlighting some areas in the south, pertinent to private spas. In 1960 the area was expropriated and an eighteenth-century mansion from Lamboglia described as "a modest Mediterranean house with vaulted ceilings, of the XVI or XVII centuries", was demolished for the continuation of excavations. Nino Lamboglia, after the new excavation campaign following the slaughter of the small building, was able to locate the remains of the spas. From late medieval times there is an ancient "stork" shaft made of materials from the villa. Not being realized in the area of excavation and being one of the best preserved specimens in Italy was not demolished. In the course of the Second World War on the margins of the area, the Todt Organization was still an existing bunker. After 2003, further excavations and surveys of the site were carried out by the University of Genoa. The YELLOW area was basically destined for entrance (Apodyterium) and transit between one environment and another. The area highlighted in RED (Calidarium) was designed for hot tubs, particularly the apsed area where hot air ducts are still visible, under the floor, throughout the complex. The highlighted area in BLUE was for saunas (Laconicum). The highlighted part in VIOLA, with autonomous access, was probably the service room where, in addition to being a deposit, there was the "Testudo", or a metal plate that was appropriately overheated, overheating the air that kept the water warm In the other rooms. The small separate environment from the entire BLU complex was access to the latrine. The two complexes highlighted in GREEN, probably, were places of leisure and rest.