The Carrara Academy is a gallery art gallery and a fine arts academy based in the city of Bergamo The origin of the gallery is due to Count Giacomo Carrara, patron and collector with a generous legacy to the city of Bergamo at the end of the eighteenth century. At the death of the Count, in 1796, all his belongings were handed over to a Commissaría in favor of the academy that ran them until 1958 when the management passed into the hands of the municipality of Bergamo. In 1810 a new building was built in neoclassical forms designed by architect Simone Elia, student of Leopoldo Pollack. Count Carlo Marenzi, wanted by Carrara himself in the Commissariat, had a great influence on the development of the academy he was, several times, president until 1851, the year of his death. Amongst others, one must acquire a Madonna del Mantegna, a masterpiece of universal beauty, and the appreciation of Giovanni Carnovali, Piccio. Another character closely linked to the Academy's history was Count Guglielmo Lochis, who succeeded Marenzi and brought him a wealth of knowledge and artistic experience from the international crowd. Lochis left part of his enormous collection of pictorial works at the Bergamo City Council, which he assigned to the Academy. The museum has continued to increase its heritage through acquisitions and donations over the years. Currently it has 1,800 paintings from artists from the 15th to 19th centuries such as Pisanello, Botticelli, Bellini, Mantegna, Raffaello, Moroni, Baschenis, Galgario, Tiepolo, Canaletto, Piccio and Giacomo Trecourt. The paintings are accompanied by a collection of drawings and prints, bronzes, sculptures and porcelains, furniture and decorative objects and a collection of medals. In 1793, at the same time as the first public opening of his gallery, Count Giacomo Carrara wanted the painting and painting courses to begin at the same place. The school is housed until 1912 in the nineteenth-century building which also welcomed the pinacoteca now has its own seat in an adjacent building. In 1988 she became Academy of Fine Arts legally recognized. In 1991 there was added the Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art (GAMeC) located in the architectural complex in front of the neoclassical building that houses the pinacoteca, in the restored former monasteries of Dimesse and the Servites. It currently counts 10 exhibition halls, spread over three floors. Since June 1999, with the acquisition of Raccolta Gianfranco and Luigia Spajani, the permanent collections contain works by Italian and foreign artists of the 20th century such as Boccioni, Balla, Morandi, Campigli, Casorati, Savinio, De Chirico, Kandinsky, Sutherland, Manzù . From June 2008 until April 2015 the picture gallery was closed for important renovations of the building; A hundred paintings were temporarily exposed in the Upper Town, in the Capriate Hall in Palazzo della Ragione, in Old Town Square.