The Broletto di Como is the seat of the town of Como in the medieval times. It came alongside the ancient cathedral (which from the fifteenth century left the place to the present-day Dome), signifying the strong link between the civil power of the Commune and that of the Church. Its construction dates back to 1215 for the will of the podestà Bonardo da Codazzo. It was built in the Gothic-Romanesque style while Renaissance facade elements date back to the fifteenth century. The facade features Lombardy marble bands in three different colors: white, gray and red, while the civic tower was built using the bugnato technique. Beginning in the 15th Century the progress of the Duomo's construction required the cutting of two arcs to the south (1477) and the closure of a porch on the same side (1514). This removal involved the separation of the municipal building into two distinct units, and commonly indicated by the citizens with "Broletto" the west and "Pretorio" in the east. The square level was also altered, which was raised, as can still be seen today by observing the base of the pillars beneath the porch. Once lost its civic function, Broletto, from 1764, became the venue of a theater and subsequently used as archive. The 19th and 20th centuries saw the realization of some works of refurbishment and restoration, intensified especially in the last decade. Currently Broletto is used as congress hall, and for art exhibitions and city solemnities.