The first information about the Dominican presence in Crema dates back to 1294, but neither the place where the monks nor their numerical consistency were to be found. It is dated 1332, instead, a donation made by the de Mandoli family who gave to Padre Venturino da Bergamo a chapel dedicated to St. Peter Martyr and some dwellings. Subsequently, construction and expansion works were carried out between 1463 and 1471. Other news is derived from acts of bishopric visits: after 1579 the altars were erected following the visit of the bishop of Rimini, Monsignor Giovanni Battista Castelli; still altar arrangements were made after the visit of Monsignor Gerolamo Regazzoni in 1583. In 1614 the court of the Inquisition was established (first inquisitor was between Giovanni Maria Florano or Florenza da Bologna) from which the custom on the day of Holy Cross, to burn forbidden books on the square in front of the convent. in 1798 the convent was suppressed and required, followed by the auctions to sell property and land owned by the convent itself. Subsequently, the French troops set out to set up a series of changes in order to transform the complex into a barracks, while the former church was transformed into a cavalry, with the refurbishment of the "paved" floor and wall finishing. They date back to 1809 the work was carried out to bring a uniform width to the interior. Walls were raised to the side altars while the windows of the northern front were enlarged. Further minor interventions were performed in the former convent in 1842. In 1865 the ground floor of the second cloister was in 1888, and in 1888, the second cloister was rebuilt. In 1899 the Italian State, after being replaced as an owner after the unification of Italy, sold the whole complex to the commune of Crema, who became the property of the town of Crema, administrators of the epoch dedicated the church to the covered market: for this reason they were commissioned important transformation works, such as a further enlargement of the north-facing windows, the opening on the facade of two new side doors besides the central one, re-opened tapered windows and skylights were created to give more light inside. The floor is also covered. With Law no. 364/1909 the church was declared a national monument. The monastery was used in the following years for various uses, as the seat of town associations and elementary schools. Between 1910 and 1912 there was also the Labor House. Between 1915 and 1918, church and convent were used as military hospital. In 1920, the church returned to cover the covered market role. In 1943, the podestà rented the structure to a private man who transformed the former church into the "Cinema-Teatro Nuovo"; in order not to occupy internal spaces on the façade, he had a "bussolotto" with a ticket office. The apse is used to house the caretaker and service premises by performing the tamponatura and obtaining a three-floor division. in 1964 it was used as the headquarters of the State Professional Institute and gym, then for the use of city schools. By the middle of the decade, the idea, which had already been set in the seventies, strengthened the idea of recovering the complex to serve it as a city theater. . In 1998, a first opening of the classroom lasted a few weeks during the exhibition L'estro e realtà: the painting in Crema in the seventeenth century. At the same time the stage and the armchairs were set up. In 1999, in the presence of the highest authorities, the San Domenico Theater was officially opened to the public During the inaugural evening, the first exhibition was performed by Eliogabalo by Francesco Cavalli, by an idea of Chiara Muti, Second Pozzali and Roberto Solci, orchestra.