Tourist Attraction in Lecco: Basilica Romana Prevositurale minore di San Nicolò
The Basilica of San Nicolò, already pre-courtesy collegiate, is the main place of Catholic worship in Lecco. Located in an elevated position, the plebana church rises on the ruins of the ancient walled city and houses the prefect of Lecco and the Decanate of the Archdiocese of Milan. The result of remarkable extensions was dedicated to San Nicolò, the patron saint of sailors and boatmen. To identify the church is the high bell tower, which, with its height of 96 meters, is one of the tallest towers in Italy. The first news dates back to the 13th century (the first written document mentioning dates back to 1252) and was probably built on previous fortifications in the city. The date of the translation of the Church Prepositurale da Castello dates back to August 23, 1584 in Lecco, with a decree of San Carlo Borromeo, whose copy is kept in the Plebano archive. The first reconstruction work of the basilica began in 1596 and continued in several stages until 1774, when the building was equipped with a neoclassical façade with triangular tympanum and six Ionian parallaxes. The facade was then completed in 1883 at the same time, as the neogothic bell tower projected, as the first was incorporated into the new building. At the center of the facade, the portal opens with a simple marble frame, with its sides, two on the right and two on the left, four semi-circular. The entrance doors date back to 1975 when Enrico Manfrini made three doors with bronze reliefs instead of the original, entering without turning into the imposing facade of Bovara. The Major, referred to by the Mercy, is flanked by two smaller laterals called the Popes and Saints depicting in the middle the high reliefs of Christ and the Madonna while narrative bases of bas-relief tell the Redemption through some evangelical episodes that are portrayed in round beds to the base. The side doors represent one of the pope of Lombardy John XXIII and Paul VI and the other two saints of the city: San Nicolò and Santo Stefano. To the left of the basilica at the height of the presbytery, isolated from other buildings, stands the neo-gothic bell tower, a symbol of the city, built between 1882 and 1904 at a height of 96 meters, the highest of the Archdiocese of Milan . Inside the bell tower there is a 9 bells concert in Si ♭ 2, whose main bell weighs 27 quintals and is the work of the great sculptor Giorgio Pruneri (1904). The interior has three aisles, one central and two navatels on the sides with perimeter chapels; The central nave is covered by a barrel vault and ends with a semicircular apse surrounded by a path with matroneo and preceded by the dome frescoed with the appearance of the Madonna del Rosario at San Pius V to announce the victory of Lepanto (1571) The establishment of the feast of the Rosary; The Holy Virgin appears on the throne between the Santi Domenico of Guzmán and Caterina da Siena while rightly kneeling St. Pius V contemplating the apparition. The entire sacred space is enriched by a vast cycle of wall paintings. The great images of the walls of the central nave tell the story of Jesus from the encounter with the Samaritan at the entrance of Jerusalem, while the vaults are decorated with frescoes depicting evangelical scenes and forty medallions of holy bishops. Of great value are Giotto's frescos, such as the Annunciation and Deposition, as well as a splendid series representing the life of St. Anthony Abate. Newer Nativity Decorations: Ten Squares with episcopal ballads of Casimiro Radice made at the end of the 19th century and 14 bronze panels dating back to 1969 depicting the Via Crucis by Enrico Manfrini.