Piazza Virgiliana is a large green area of the city of Mantua, which was commissioned by the French general de Miollis in 1797 in order to honor the Latin poet Virgil. At the time of the Gonzaga, the current area of the square was invaded by the waters of Lake Mezzo and occupied by the port of Sant'Agnese anchor which derived the name from the homonymous monastery, subsequently destroyed, standing on the banks of the creek . The latter was crossed by an embankment on which the church of Santa Maria dell'Argine was built. By the time the area became impetuous and began to think of making the old port a square. During the eighteenth century the "ancona" was gradually excavated using the rubble of demolished and restructured city buildings. In order to honor the poet Virgil, Argine's square was called Virgiliana. Completing the work was French General Sextius Alexandre François de Miollis in 1797, who convinced of his project the Municipality. The design of the square was entrusted to the architect Paolo Pozzo who modeled the French garden squares with four rows of tall trees. In Virgiliana Square a first monument to Virgil was raised on the initiative of General De Miollis, which inaugurated on March 21, 1801. It consisted of a tall column on top of which was placed a bronze bust of the poet. Its location was at the center of the Virgiliana Square as desired by the architect Pozzo. Back in the Austrian domination of the city, in order to make military exercises possible, the column was moved to the edge, towards the lake of Mezzo in the place where the existing monument stands. Finally, in 1821, the virgilian column was demolished to make room for the Virgilian Amphitheater designed by the Mantua architect Giuseppe Cantoni. The bust of Virgil was moved to decorate the Municipal Palace. The economist and senator of the Kingdom of Italy, Giovanni Arrivabene, in 1877, urged the establishment of a committee to celebrate the imminent one hundred and twentieth anniversary of Virgil's death. From this association came the idea of building a new monument. The Committee, which anticipated to collect 150,000 lire, in 1883 raised subscriptions for 26,000 lire, an insufficient figure that lengthened the initial purpose. Despite this, he had long debated the site of construction, until his choice fell on Virgilian Square. In 1919 the nineteenth-century amphitheater, which had supplanted the column designed by Paolo Pozzo, was demolished and on the liberated space the current Carrara marble monument was designed by architect Luca Beltrami on whose top a large bronze statue Milanese sculptor Emilio Quadrelli (1863-1925). The final cost exceeded the one million lire, obtained by adding the 400,000 lire collected by the Committee formed fifty years ago, and the contributions of the municipality of Mantua and the Italian state. Completing the work on October 16, 1926, the monument to Virgil was officially inaugurated on April 21, 1927.