Tourist Attraction in Mantua: Museo di Palazzo D'Arco
Palazzo D'Arco is a historic palace in Mantua. was erected from the year 1784 on the pulse of a branch of the noble Trentino family of the D'Arco who had settled in Mantua since 1740. After the acquisition of the residence of Count Chieppo, Count Giovanni Battista Gherardo d'Arco thought to transform the palace following the neoclassicism dictates inspired by Andrea Palladio's work. The edifice was entrusted to the architect Antonio Colonna headquartered in Rome since 1946 by Francesco Campogalliani's Theatre Academy founded by Ettore Campogalliani. The palace also housed Count Carlo d'Arco (1799-1849), a historian and collector of documents. He was the head of Mantua from 1847 to 1848. The last exponent of the family, who died in 1973, was Mrs. Giovanna of the Counts of Arco Chieppio Ardizzoni, the Guidi di Bagno marching was the Foundation of Arco. With his will of 1956, he had all his belongings, including the Palace and its collections (herbarium, picture gallery, archive, library, musical instruments, furnishings, weapons) to his death, becoming a public museum. Particularly rich is the pinacoteca with paintings by Niccolò da Verona, Luini, Magnasco, Frans Pourbus the Younger, Van Dyck and a pictorial cycle by Giuseppe Bazzani. In the year 2014, the Fondazione d'Arco received donations from the Marquis Federico Cavriani, an exponent of the noble mantranian family of the Cavriani, which are partially collected and exhibited in a dedicated "Sala Cavriani". Museum collections include furniture, ceramics, paintings and a large library. The collection includes paintings by: Niccolò da Verona, students of Pieter Aertsen and Gioachim Buenckelaer; Giacomo Albé; Lorenzo Costa the Elder and Lorenzo Costa the Young; the Sodom; Sebastien Bourdon; Ludovico Toeput; Annibale Carracci; Frans Pourbus the Younger; Bernardino Luini; Giuseppe Bazzani; Santo Peranda; William Hunting; Alessandro Magnasco; Lorenzo Lotto; Tintoretto; Antonio della Corna; Pasquale Ottino; Giovanni Maria Perego; Fra Semplice from Verona; Giulio Carpioni; Margherita Caffi; Frans Geffels; Matteo Ghidoni; Francesco Fieravino; Jacob Denys; Horoscope Samacchini; Giovanni Francesco Maineri; Boccaccio Boccaccino; Piazzetta's studio; study by Bernardino and Francesco Zaganelli; Pietro Muttoni; Alessandro Turchi; Giovanni Francesco Castiglione; Sebastiano Mazzoni; Daniele Crespi; Pandolfo Reschi; Bartolomeo Manfredi; Joann Kupetzki; Michele Desubleo; Antonio Carneo; Agostino Bonisoli; Giovanni Battista Venanzi; Felice Boselli; Gilardo da Lodi; Giambettino Cignaroli; Bartolomeo Pedon; Pier Francesco Guala; Giovanni Battista Crespi School; Giovanni Peruzzini; Tomasso Porta; Luigi Miradori; Van Dyck; Jan Wildens; Rubens (attributed); Nicola Casissa; Giovanni Andrea Urbani; Gerolamo Induno; and Bartolomeo Nazzari. The Bazzani paintings collection consists of nine canvases. One of the masterpieces of the architectural complex of the palace is located inside the Renaissance building accessible by crossing the courtyard: it is the frescoed room of the "Sala dello Zodiaco" painted in the early 16th century by the painter Giovanni Maria Falconetto. The library includes a collection of natural history books, vintage cuisine, a large library and a collection of vintage musical instruments.