Tourist Attraction in Mantua: Museo della Città di Palazzo San Sebastiano
The Museum of the City of Palazzo San Sebastiano is a museum of Mantua with its seat in the sixteenth-century homonymous municipal building. The museum was inaugurated on March 19, 2005. The palace was built between 1506 and 1508 to be the favorite residence of Marquis Francesco II Gonzaga, who died in 1519. Gerolamo Arcari and Bernardino Ghisolfo were in charge of the work and commissioned decorations Inside the interior were painters like Lorenzo Leonbruno, Matteo and Lorenzo Costa il Vecchio. In the upper hall were the nine canvases of Mantegna depicting the Caesar's Triumphs, which are now held at Hampton Court in London. Even after the death of the commander, while remaining a noble residence, the palace no longer had the privileged role recognized by Francis II: the most precious furniture and pictures were moved to another place, and the residence was used in the lateral branches of the family such as Gonzaga of Novellara, Gazzuolo and Castiglione delle Stiviere. In this palace, the future S. Luigi Gonzaga gave birth to his brother Rodolfo. The palace is forgotten by returning to the public interest from the middle of the eighteenth century when the Austrian government used it as a deposit and a barracks. Such use accelerated the degradation with the almost total disappearance of wall decorations. Even the original structure was heavily shaken, especially when in 1883 the palace was used as a lazaret. Other renovations were in the twentieth century, becoming the building of public baths, an elephant colony, schools, depots and recreational circles. The recovery began in 1999 with the aim of restoring as much as possible the original project and at least partially recovering the interior and exterior wall decorations. The restoration allowed to recover precious fragments of the frescoes that exteriorly decorated the palace, following the typical taste of the Mantuan buildings of the second half of the 14th century. The restorations were completed in 2003 by re-launching the Loggia dei Marmi and fresco cycles in the House of the Crucible, the House of Lights and the House of the Sun. The 2012 earthquakes of Emilia caused damage to some of the Gonzaga's palace halls. In the City Museum are exposed some of the works belonging to the Civic Collections that in the nineteenth century constituted the Patrio Museum. The proposition has the ambition to tell the most emblematic moments of Mantua's history and to represent its great artistic civilization. Seven thematic sections: The Museum of the Risorgimento of Mantua was inaugurated March 3, 1903 on the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Belfiore. After several venues and vicissitudes, in 2005 the collections of the Museum of the Risorgimento, without seat, were formally joined to the new Museum of the City of Palazzo San Sebastiano. The dating of the finds is attributable to a period between the Napoleonic era and the Third War of Independence, after which Mantua was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. Particular attention is paid to the memorabilia and the events of the territory. The museum consists of five sections: the Napoleonic Age, the Restoration and the Motions of 1848, the Belfiore Conspiracy and finally the years ranging from the second to the third war of independence. The collections are made up of military uniforms, weapons, newspapers, posters, paintings and prints.